_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Academy's Cobra
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:45 AM UTC
Here is my latest "W" cobra, Academy's 1/35th. I scratchbuilt a new rear bulk head,the electronics boxes were made from evergreen plastics as is fire extinguisher and the rest of the avionics equipment along the cockpit and instrument panels. Painted with Model Masters aircraft black. The crew cooling hoses were made from a soft rubber hose, wraped with a single fine piece of speaker wire. The piece of copper w/ the round plastic attached at the end is the map light. Need to add one more.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
Looks great Joe, good job.
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
Very nicely done cockpit Joe. Let me know how this build goes. Its been awhile since i built an Academy aircraft or Helo so am wondering if their quality has improved since.
jinithith2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC
with some background and photo tweaking, other people will think you illegally reppied out the cockpit of the Cobra with a jackhammer! :-)
Looks wonderful and can't wait to see the final product!

Happy Holidays-jinithith2
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
All those dials look fantastic!!
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
great painting Joe, the cockpit looks really busy with all these dazzling knobs!

is it going to be an OIF machine?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
jazza the Academy Cobra kit builds very well. No flash or fit problems, and very minor sink holes which are easy to putty and sand. Cobra Company has a resin kit out to up-date it, http://www.cobracompany.com/35009.htm

Twobobs had a nice set of decals out, "Whiskey in the mix" they are no longer in stock. Good news though, Twobobs and Fireball Model works are planning releasing new sheets after the holidays.

As for the knobs, simply done by sharpening a tooth pick using sandpaper, then dab the paint on to the raised knobs. Just keep wiping of the paint from the tooth pick, doing so helps so that paint dots don't become large.

As for the smaller knobs and dials well...after I sprayed on my flat black and once it dried, I too my hobby knife and taking my time, I scratched of the black paint from the knobs and in the dials. Simply enough right.

Thanks guys and oh yeah, Elad it will be a OIF helicopter.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC
Joe,
Anything w/ Rotors gets my attention. Looks Great so far, nice detail painting. The Cobra Co. resin set is really a nice kit. All in all good in 1/35........but try this in 1/48. My whole helo collection is done in 1/48, and this detail requires a magnifier and a lot of paitence.
Keep up the progress and keep us posted.
jinithith2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
are the panel lines engraved? how is the detail???
I am leaning greatly on buying the W version, but the squadron description of the T+ version (multipart canopy engraved panel lines, multi part caockpit blah blah blah) is shaking me and I don't wanna buy something I don't want...
thanks!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC
jinithith2 the Academy Cobra has engraved panel lines and raised rivets. I would definitely recommend getting this kit. As I said before it goes togather well. The canopy is in three pieces, and it can be displayed in an open or closed postion.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

are the panel lines engraved? how is the detail???
I am leaning greatly on buying the W version, but the squadron description of the T+ version (multipart canopy engraved panel lines, multi part caockpit blah blah blah) is shaking me and I don't wanna buy something I don't want...
thanks!

I second Mother's recommendation. It is a great kit. By the way, it is the same kit as the T+ version, just different decals. The T+ was the protype name, it was calle the W when it went into production.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hi Joe!

Wow! Great looking cockpit! With all these lights it looks like a Christmas Tree! The level of detail is amazing... the seatbelts are not painted yet, are they?

Jean-Luc
LemonJello
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:07 AM UTC
I was struck speechless by that cockpit. Looks to be another stunning helo coming together, mother.

Can't wait to see more.
AH1Wsnake
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
I love all the scratchbuilt extras, Joe. Clearly a sign of some good research. Look forward to seeing more.
Moezilla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 11:30 AM UTC
Wow, excellent detail to that cockpit Joe! Although I've been building armor kits starting out the past year, I did pick up this kit at one of the Hobby Lobby half off sales because I love the Cobra. Glad to hear it's a good kit, will have to build it in the coming year. Will definitely be hitting up this thread for tips on the cockpit, very nicely done!
 _GOTOTOP