_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/48 Dragon Fw 190A-7 cockpit finished
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 02:00 AM UTC
I picked up Dragon's 1/48 Fw 190A-7 (with "slipper" tanks) as soon as it was released. I just got Eduard's PE for the 190G, which can be used on this kit. After a very enjoyable weekend or so, I have a finished cockpit. The only thing I added was the cable that runs from the control column to the "hump" in front of the stick.
There are shapes molded to the floor for the rudder pedals. These needed to be removed, and the only way I could do it was by cutting away the forward wall of the cockpit. Once the 'pit is in the fuselage, you'll never know the difference.

I've built about a dozen of these kits (A-4, A-5, A-8, F-8) from the DML/Dragon molds, so I know where all the skeletons lie. I just got Hasegawa's new Fw 190A-3, and it looks good for the most part. I was REALLY disappointed to notice that there is now a single-piece tailwheel. I'll wait 'till Eduard releases a PE set to start that one.

Now, on to the flaps !
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
Looks good so far Bill.
Can the Fw 190A-7 be built without the slipper tanks on. So what are all these skeletons, are they major or minor, as i am looking to buy this kit for a future project?
Andy (++)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hi Bill

That's looking great - as usual!

The site-move has thrown my reviews schedule, but I hope to have this and the Hasegawa A-3 published within the next few days. I don't know about the tailwheel - but I had a few other disappointments in the new Hasegawa kit... to learn more - wait for the review. :-)

All the best

Rowan
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thank you Andy and Rowan !

Andy - yes, it can be built without the tanks as an A-7 or A-8. Some modelers have troubles with the wingroots, cowling, and landing gear. If you build it by the instructions (what are those?), you'll need filler. The way I build it, you don't need much, if any.
Tamiya came out with their "Fw 190s" which are EZ to build, but have MANY shape and detail shortcomings. The pic below is a Dragon Fw 190A-8 above an old (with yellowed kit decals) Tamiya F-8. The Tamiya kit looks very odd.

Rowan - the tailwheel was the first thing I noticed. When DML replaced Trimaster's white metal single-piece with a multi-part plastic one,they improved the look a lot. I was saddened to see Hasegawa doing the simplified one. I'll have to bore it out, as I did on my Trimaster 190D-9. The inserts don't bother me on the new kit. It just needs a little more work. At least it won't look as bad as the Tamiya A-3 !

Thanks again !
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC
I've built Dragon's A-4 Focke-wulf and had to use a little putty at the wing roots. Many people seem to hate that multi-part cowling, but it went surprisingly smoothly for me. It didn't need any filler. I glued the upper and lower parts to the front ring first and when they were dry, I attached the separate side bulges.

Btw, does the new kit still have the PE parts made of steel? That was the only part of the I didn't like that much.
 _GOTOTOP