_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Correct colors for Spitfire
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
I just purchased the Spitfire Mk.IXc "Clostermann" from Hasegawa today in 1:48 scale. This will be the first Spitfire I've built in 20 years and the first model I have ever painted with an airbrush. I'd like to stay as true to history as possible so with this plane so my question is about paint colors. The picture on the box shows the plane with the two tone camo pattern with green and what looks like blue. The directions call for Dark Green for the green color and Ocean Grey for the "blue" color. Can anyone tell me what these colors would translate to in the Model Masters paints? Model Masters is the brand I'd like to stick with since my local hoppy store carries the entire line. I've checked and Model Masters doesn't list an Ocean Grey. Am I going to have to mix my own and get as close as possible or what?
Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks, VonCuda
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hello,

Model Master 2057 for Ocean Gray.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi

Model Master Enamels
Upper surface:
-- 2057 Ocean Grey
-- 2060 Dark Green
Under surface:
-- 2058 Medium Sea Grey
Spinner/Band:
-- 2049 Sky 'S'

John
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hey thanks for the numbers guys. I'm going to head back to the hobby shop saturday and see if they have paint in stock.
Just a couple more quick questions if it's not asking too much. What is the number/color for the interior green and is there a link to a website where I can do the conversions myself without having to bother everyone with more questions?
Thanks again,
VonCuda
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 12:08 PM UTC
you could try here here for a cross reference
RAF Interior green would be 2062.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hey thanks for the link mossieramm. I went ahead and printed their charts out so I would have them handy at the desk in the future. I ran into another problem today as the only hobby store within 50 miles of my home carries only Model Masters paints but not the Model Masters II. The owner of the shop said I'd have to order what I need online or he could special order them for me. Either way I'll be putting the Spitfire on hold for a while.
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 07:00 PM UTC
Good posts, I was wondering about the colors myself. It seems I recall some p47 thunderbolts were a similar blue/dark green camo scheme?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Well I made it back to my hoby shop today and got some bad news. Seems they don't carry MMII paints, only regular MM. The owner said he could order the correct paints but it would take around 3 weeks to get them.
While I was there I just decided to purchase the closest paint colors I could find to the correct ones. I ended up buying,
Dark Green #FS34079
&
Gunship Gray #FS36118
for the top side camo scheme and
Pale Green #FS34227 for the interior color.
I figured since my modeling skills are no where near as good as most folks on this site anyways and besides, I could allways blame the "off" color on the camera when I finally post the pictures.

Thanks for the help guys,
VonCuda
 _GOTOTOP