Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hs 129 B-2
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi. Just wanted to post some pics of my last build. This is the 1/48 scale Hs 129 B-2 from Hasegawa. This kit was a joy to build. It was built out of the box with seatbelts from Eduard and brakelines from copper wire. ModelMaster paints were used along with EagleCal decals. I'm going to build Amtechs 1/48 scale Ta-183 "Huckebein" next. I heard it is a good build.Thanks for looking,Wingman out.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi Michael!

Great one!
I searched for minutes but found no flaws on your model. Everything looks good: paint job, camouflage, weathering, base etc... just perfect!
Can't wait to see the "Huckebein"!

Jean-Luc
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 02:14 AM UTC
Wingman,
Looks great. Nice build and camo job.

I know this not the Critics Corner, but do you mind a quick observation?

Your weathering and wear & tear are fantastic. However, the decals and the white markings look a bit 'new' when compared to the rest of the vehicle.

Maybe a few paint chips on the nose and prop spinners? Or add a filter to the decals, and the stripe around the fuselage?

Just a thought.

Keith

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael!

Great one!
I searched for minutes but found no flaws on your model. Everything looks good: paint job, camouflage, weathering, base etc... just perfect!
Can't wait to see the "Huckebein"!

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc. Thank you for the kind words. I was anxious to build this kit because I wanted to try and do the camo freehand, still need some practice, I'll probably start the Huckebein Sunday, thanks for looking,Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wingman,

Your weathering and wear & tear are fantastic. However, the decals and the white markings look a bit 'new' when compared to the rest of the vehicle.

Maybe a few paint chips on the nose and prop spinners? Or add a filter to the decals, and the stripe around the fuselage?

Just a thought.

Keith

Hi Keith. Thanks for your kind comments. Your right about the weathering on the white areas and the decals. They look a bit bright in the pics, but on the model they are a bit dull. The spinners do have some weathering, you just can't see it very well in the pics. I might try to weather the fuselage band, I just don't want to over do it. I have heard about using filters on models, armor mostly. Could you give us an explanation on how to go about doing that? Does it have to do with super thin paint being applied? Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi Michael

Lovely looking model! I was only thinking it's been a while since we saw one of your builds, so it's great to see you back with a beauty! I really like the dark paint chipping - is that revealing European camo underneath? Very neat.

All the best

Rowan
Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 20:05:24 (GMT).
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

Lovely looking model! I was only thinking it's been a while since we saw one of your builds, so it's great to see you back with a beauty! I really like the dark paint chipping - is that revealing European camo underneath? Very neat.

All the best

Rowan

Hi Rowan. Thank you sir.Yeah it's been awhile, I've been doing 'lots of photography for extra income. It's great to be back among some fine modellers. Yep, that's the camo scheme showing through. I started the Amtech Ta-183 last night. Thanks for looking, WIngman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Er I was just thinking it's a bit odd to see an airplane in the armor MOM gallery.......
Looks nice though
Rodders

Hi Rodder. I did that by accident loading it up. Thanks for the kind words, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just love it!

Regards Tuomas

Hi Tuomas. Thank you. I've had this computer for about two years now and I find it amazing that we can get comments about our work from fellow modellers from countries like yours and Japan, France and all over the globe. Thanks for looking,WIngman out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Yep great to see you back with such a good looking model. I have built one of these and they are very nice kits, the desert cam has to be my favourite scheme and you've certainly done it credit :-)
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep great to see you back with such a good looking model. I have built one of these and they are very nice kits, the desert cam has to be my favourite scheme and you've certainly done it credit :-)
Mal

Thank you for your kind words Mal. This was a fun build. I guess I will enter this in MOM Jan. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi again Michael

Can you tell us a little about what you used for the ground-work? The base sets the model off beautifully..

All the best

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again Michael

Can you tell us a little about what you used for the ground-work? The base sets the model off beautifully..

All the best

Rowan

Hi again Rowan. Thanks. I cut a piece of exterior foam insulation[pink stuff used to insulate houses] to shape with a jigsaw. The edges were sanded smooth with fine grain sandpaper[it sands like soft wood]. I applied wall spackle to the base, smoothing it out with a wet foam brush. While it was still wet I applied fine sand and kitty litter[the small pieces] and pressed it gently into the spackle with a wide paint scraper. I let that dry a few days and airbrushed ModelMaster Dark Earth[acryl] to the groundwork. I then drybrushed some of the raised areas with a lighter shade of the base color. I decided it was a little plain looking so I attached some clumps of dried moss that was bought at the craft store. The edge of the base was painted with flat black acryllic craft paint, two coats. When I set the plane on the base I made sure that the tires were sitting nice and flat and not sitting right on top some of the rocks, this would look unrealistic. That's about it, thanks for asking and looking,Wingman out.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 06:48 PM UTC
Very nice model there.. isn't that kit a nice one to build.. I did it a while back in a 3 tone hard edge camo and it came out great.. though i'm not yet up to your skill level. It has giving me a few ideas if I ever build another..

nmayhew
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 08:21 PM UTC
great looking model all round.

the one area where i think "no way i could do that" is the spinners - how do you get nice clean lines on compound curves?

i've tried a million times (or so it seems) to get this right and never been satisfied with the results.

any little serets you could share with us would be gratefully recieved!

kind regards,

nicholas
Greek_Tiger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aitoloakarnania, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 05:27 PM UTC
m wolfe you did a very nice job i would rate this a 8.5.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice model there.. isn't that kit a nice one to build.. I did it a while back in a 3 tone hard edge camo and it came out great.. though i'm not yet up to your skill level. It has giving me a few ideas if I ever build another..

Hi Delbert. I just looked at your 129, it looks nice. You should post some close ups of it in your gallery, thanks for the kind words, WIngman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

great looking model all round.

the one area where i think "no way i could do that" is the spinners - how do you get nice clean lines on compound curves?

i've tried a million times (or so it seems) to get this right and never been satisfied with the results.

any little serets you could share with us would be gratefully recieved!

kind regards,

nicholas

Hi Nicholas. Thanks for the kind comments and for looking. I was a litlle hesitant when doing the spinners. I cut Tamiya tape[outstanding stuff] down to about 1/16" wide. Your piece of tape will conform much better to the curve when you cut it this narrow. Make sure your tape is nice and flat and straight before making your cut. I work on a piece of glass. When placing your cut piece of tape on the area you want to mask, make sure the edge that you cut with your knife is facing away from the area where you want a nice straight edge, just in case the side you cut is not exactly striaght, the side that you didn't cut will be nice and staight since it came from Tamiya like that, that's the edge you want on the side where you want the nice staight line, hope that's not confusing. When you have your tape down where you like it, double check and make sure it is lying nice and flat so paint does not bleed underneath. You can use larger pieces of tape to mask the area that won't be receiving paint. The key to getting a nice line is to take your time and don't over do it with the paint. When your paint is dry, take your time taking off the masking. Hope this helps, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

m wolfe you did a very nice job i would rate this a 8.5.

Thank you Maik. Thanks for looking, are you an armor builder? Wingman out.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Wingman,

Just a thought.

Keith

Hi Keith. Thanks for your kind comments. Your right about the weathering on the white areas and the decals. They look a bit bright in the pics, but on the model they are a bit dull. The spinners do have some weathering, you just can't see it very well in the pics. I might try to weather the fuselage band, I just don't want to over do it. I have heard about using filters on models, armor mostly. Could you give us an explanation on how to go about doing that? Does it have to do with super thin paint being applied? Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

WIngman,
Sorry for the late reply.
I'm no expert on fiters. I have just started experimenting with them and learning myself. But there have been some great postings about them around this wonderful website, and here is a good one:

[url= https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/2723&page=1[/url]

Hope this helps ya.
 _GOTOTOP