_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Bombs Away Campaign approved please sign up
TreeCat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 187 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Airman in 30 days we will start operations against the enemy men ( and ladies) our mission is to deney the enemy the means to wage war to deney him the factories, ball berrings, planes and tanks. navagators you find the target, gunners you keep the enemy off our backs, and BOMBERS you make HISTORY...

:-)

treecat
Mojo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Well, as my mom always said, "in for a penny, in for a pound."
I will be doing a bomber, first one in about 15 years.. I have an idea for this one.. All I have to do is get a kit... All I have is armour... :-) :-)

Dave
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hi Treecat

I'll be in! I'm not sure what to build yet... I won't go crazy and tackle Kosters PBY-2 Privateer (I just couldn't finish it in time) - so maybe something like Mirage's PZL 37A would be fun... we'll see.

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC
After looking through my stash I've decided to build a DH Mosquito FB.VI the fight-bomber version (still has a bomb bay). Is this alright Treecat or if not I can do the Mosquito B.IV bomber version.
Your call Treecat.

Ciao
Luciano
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

maybe something like Mirage's PZL 37A would be fun...

Hi all!

Rowan, I heard the "Los" is a real nightmare to build! Good Luck! :-) I changed my mind and will build Italeri's Boston instead of Flashback's Sparviero. I think it will be a less time intensive build and I have a nice Blueprint resin detail set waiting for the A-20...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 05:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, I heard the "Los" is a real nightmare to build! Good Luck! :-)

Hi Jean-Luc

LOL! I do know how to pick 'em don't I! I hope those old Blueprint A-20 parts look OK after all these years.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi again

I know what I should build - Koster's Martin Maryland! I only cut out the basic parts and the build would contribute towards Vacuform Basics Pt. 2. I kept it on hold while I waited for references - now, with the AJ Press book, I think I've even got pics of the bomb-bay...

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 11:59 PM UTC
One Betty waiting for takeoff.
Andy (++)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:30 AM UTC
I'm in but not sure what to do. I want to do the B-24 and I have started re-scribing it. I have re-scribed the Maruader and should really do that but I need a replacement canopy and Revel want me to cough up £3.50 The easiest option would be the Betty, which I also ought to get on with as I 've had it a while. So what to do
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I need a replacement canopy and Revel want me to cough up £3.50

Hi Mal

That's the second time I've heard of Revell trying to charge for replacement parts! I'm sure it can't be within consumer rights - if the part was faulty in the first place, you should be entitled to a refund or replacement.

Maybe we need to start using a bit of Armorama-power to put the pressure on...

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So what to do
Mal

Easiest way, put all the names in a hat and build the first one you pull out, no cheating though :-) .
Andy (++)
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
I've signed up, although I do not think I'll start right away -- got to get the bench cleared away.

Unsure of subject right now, options are all 1/72:
-- Airfix Lancaster B.I Special
-- Hasegawa Lancaster B.I/III
-- Airfix Stirling
-- Matchbox HP Heyford

Plus I have much of the Airfix 1/72 airfield stuff I might build to go along with my selected subject ...

John
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
I'm in!!!

I already bought my Italieri Caproni 313 in 1/72, including the etched parts from CRC (It's going to be my first major etching job, but hey, the bomb bays need to be open!)

Of course, I'm going to build the Swedish B 16. It's going to be absolute hell, with over 100 windows, complicated mottling scheme, ancient model, lots of etched parts etc - Strangely, I'm looking very much forward to it all!! :-)

Cheers!!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi treecat

I have 2 questions:

1. Does a Fw 200 C count as bomber?

2. I have already started the Trumpeter kit but as it is a tough build/correction I will hardly finish it in time, but I would try if I can join?

You can see here how far I am ( I've just started) Trumpeter Fw 200 C-4

best wishes

Steffen
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:40 AM UTC
i'm in! at the weekend i got me an airfix ju 88 and hurricane kit in one box with paints and glue, a starter kit basicly, (well my other half would insist on going to toys r us to get pressies for neices and nephews!) i'm thinking of building the 88 oob, so i at least finish one kit for this campaign, then i'll start maybe....
revell h177 with full etched kit!
roden gotha Gv night bomber......seriously!
roden H 111 pedro, although this might be built for the spanish civil war group build
mpm fairy battle
airfix (yayy!) B17 or handley page hampden (which was given to me partly started and minus some parts and canopies but there are am sets that would cure this
what to choose!
how to choose!
isn't this hobby great!
on a side note i have had two revell kits with dodgy canopies, the H 177 and the FW 190 A8 and have had two other members here tell me they had the same problems with the same kits
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC
OK, I reviewed my options and decided on the Airfix Short Stirling, OOB unless I decide to change markings. I will also be building the Airfix Control Tower, Refueling Set, Bofors Gun, and RAF Personnel kits because I need them available for the British aircraft I build -- but am unsure about markings, etc, as mentioned in the campaign description ...

Questions:
-- Will we be running one progress thread for all, or separate for each member ?
-- Will we be posting the thread here in Aircraft or in Campaigns ?

I will start uploading basic kit photos to My Gallery soon ....

John
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's the second time I've heard of Revell trying to charge for replacement parts! I'm sure it can't be within consumer rights - if the part was faulty in the first place, you should be entitled to a refund or replacement.

Maybe we need to start using a bit of Armorama-power to put the pressure on...

I like the pressure idea. My canopy had just a small flaw which I tried to sand out, I didn't manage it, completely and lost most of the frame detail in the process. I thought at first that I would see if I could get a replacement but I baulked at £3.50, it'd be cheaper to vac form a new one. That's not going to happen any time soon so the kit aint getting built. Anyone know where to get acetate or whatever for vac forming canopies?
It might be interesting to find out what luck Phil has if he were to try changing his canopies:

Quoted Text

on a side note i have had two revell kits with dodgy canopies, the H 177 and the FW 190 A8 and have had two other members here tell me they had the same problems with the same kits

I'll dig out the address if you like Phil?

Quoted Text

Easiest way, put all the names in a hat and build the first one you pull out, no cheating though

Andy, what a good idea, did this and lucky me I'll be doing the Tamiya Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11, better, and easier, know as the Betty, phew no cheating, 'onest guv :-)
Mal
warvos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
My crew is on standby and my A-26B Invader is all fueled up and ready to go. Just waiting for the papersworks to be completed (read as: my Superscale decals to arrive)

I'll be doing this Revell 1/48 kit OOTB except for the decals.

This 'll be my first bomber in 10 years.

looking forward to this build!!

warvos
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 01:48 AM UTC
Can't make a firm commitment right now, due to other projects in works, but if and when I jump in, of course it will have to be something with an "X" in it, so I'll schedule a "Big X" bomber for the campaign
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
i got vac form canopies for both kits, in the case of the 177 i read a post on here by someone who had problems with theirs,at this time i had'nt opened the plastic bag of partsin mine, so i had a look to check and found the front glazing looked like teeny snails had slimed it! the 190 canopy is simply blurry to look through,which is a real shame as this is a really nice kit otherwise, with a nice cockpit that would be almost impossible to see through this canopy
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 02:22 AM UTC
found the original thread where this problem was first mentioned [ https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/47409&page=1
it was mossieram who told me about the less than stellar canopies
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:20 PM UTC
I'm in. Just picked up my kit this morning.
Hasegawas He111H-6 with "BONUS" photo etched parts included.......$42.00 at the hobby shop. Got home, opened the box............no bonus photo etched parts.

Does anyone else here ever feel like Charlie Brown..... just when everything is going great, Lucy pulls the darn football away and you land right on your tail?
inopia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC
Sign me up Treecat. Aircraft and explosives..mmmm.. Merry Christmas Armorama!
gcdavidson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC
I'm in for an Su-25 Frogfoot
 _GOTOTOP