_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Decal solutions.
Red-Dead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 12:05 AM UTC
Well guys, I guess I might as well bring this up now long before I get to it. And that is about decal setting and softening solutions. Im gonna be dead honest, they confuse the hell out of me. Or, more to the point, the myriad of choices and how some work for these decals, those dont, this sets, this softens........arghhh, its got me scratching my head.

So can anyone offer a sort of primer on decal solutions? How they work, what to look for in a solution for any given project?

Thanks,
Brian
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC
Brian - I'll give it a try.

1. Decal setting solutions (Testors, MicroSet, etc.) these help the decal adhere to flat / low detail surfaces. Great when you have to move them around a little to get them in place. Make nice tight bond to surface of model.

2. Decal softeners (Testors, MicroSol, etc) these "soften the decal to allow it to adhere to a high detail surface ie heavy panel lines, strangely shaped surfaces where decals don't want to stick.

Use setting solution on most all applications, softeners only for the places decals don't want to go, or if they are REALLY thick.

As for Brands available, I haven't found much difference in them. (They are all basically purified vinegar)

Last issue: what ever you buy to use, read the instructions on the bottle, they will help.

Have a Very pleasent holiday season
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hey Brian, don't listen to a word I say since I'm a newbie.
I have started using Microsol on my decals. Why? Because everyone said so. It does make the placement of decals MUCH easier.........but I must still be doing something wrong since my decals still end up with wrinkles. I precoat the area with Future first and then I go by the directions on the bottle, prepainted microsol on the area of the model, placed the decal on the model, and then put more microsol on top......lightly dabbed the excess off and "feathered" all the bubbles out with a VERY soft brush. After applying my decals in this maner my models still look like small, expensive pieces of crap. This is why I haven't posted any pictures yet.

As a side note, my bottle of Microsol states:
"setting solution for decals" and "softens decals to conform to irregular surfaces"
I take this to mean that one bottle does the work of two different bottles?

I know this hasn't helped you but I'm at a loss just like yourself.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hermon - ACK stop using Microsol as a general solution it's not - yes your decals will wrinkle using MicroSol and you need to nurse the wrinkles out after the decal is softened with a small brush (after a couple of minutes) - MicroSet is what you should use as a general decal application product. MicroSol does just what it says on the bottle "softens the decal to conform to irregular surfaces", but it is not intened as a two in one product MicroSet for normal jobs MicroSol for the tuff ones where the decals just don't want to go there. MicroSol takes a lot more care to use, as you have already found out.

Since these products were released, I have had very few times I've had to use MicroSol.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
I’ve been using Micro Sol for years and I swear by it. I also used many of the other brands and products out there, but I found that the Micro Sol works the best for all my needs.

Quoted Text

I must still be doing something wrong since my decals still end up with wrinkles

Hermon it seems that your using to much of the Micro Sol solution. You really don't want to get it that wet. You really only want to use it when you applying a decal over a curve, panel lines, a bend, ect:, you really don't need to use it on a flat surface. What I do is I'll use a q-tip and, dab it into the solution, wipe over the area where the decal is going. Then once it's in place I'll wipe the decal using the q-tip with the solution on it. Here's is something else if found, when using Furture as a gloss base, wait at least 24 hours for the Furture to dry. Also if you use too much of the solution, it will soften the Furture making it sticky and you'll have trouble moving the decal around in place. When using aftermarket decals, look over the instructions. Some aftermarket decals suggest not using any of the solutions.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

I've used Micro Sol/Set for decades. It is my first choice. Polly Scale's set and sol products have worked well, too.

The nuke is Walthers Solvaset, found at various LHS but mainly at model railroad shops. It will settle down whatever you put it on, but some decals it will destroy. Test first--good advice for whatever brand you choose.

Also, just because XYZ has always worked on JHGF's decals, test first as model manufacturers will switch decal producers time to time.
 _GOTOTOP