_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
DML's Ju88A-4
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
hi all,

I have some questions about this kit and it's real life counterpart:

1. is the DML kit and ProModeler kit the same one?
2.did the A-4 variant take part in the Battle of Britian?
3. what diffrentiates an A4 from an A1?
4. how bad is this kit for someone like me who produces no pleasure out of puttying and sanding and is darn awful at scribing?
5. could it be that any of the 88's variants carried a scheme without the swastikas? I have been avoiding Luftwaffe subjects because I'm not keen of having swastikas displayd on my shelf.

thanks in advance and Happy Xmas and Happy New Year to all!
Elad.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hi there Elad

I think I can answer a couple of your questions..
#1. Yes the pro-modelers is the old DML kit.
kit review

#2 and #3. According to my reference book The A-1 was the first production model and went into service in Aug. 1939. However early experiences proved that the aircrafts defensive armament was totally inadeqate, and the A-4 version was developed to correct its deficiencys.

The A-4 along also increased the crew's protection, the wings were lengthened and the landing gear strengthened.

A-1 spec's

2 Junkers Jumo 211b, 12 cylinder V, liquid cooled 1200 hp each
Wingspan 60 ft 3 in (18.38m)
Length 47 ft 1 in (14.36 m)
Height 17 ft 6 in (5.32m)
Weight 22,840 lb (10,360 kg) loaded
Max speed 280 mph (450 km/h) at 18,050 ft (5.500 m)
Ceiling 26,250 ft (8000 m)
range 1,056 miles (1700km)
armament 3 Machine guns 3960 lbs (1800 kg) of bombs
crew 4.

I don't have the A-4 specs in my book.. according to internet sources the A-4 was used during the end of the Battle of Britian and the only date i've found is that the A-4 entered service in 1940.

#4.

DML kit build review

pro-modeler kit build review

#5. I can understand your lack of interest in having the swastikas on a model, so my advise is just to leave them off and if anyone asks just explain to them its a personal choice. I can't recall ever seeing a german plane without them on the tail. Althought I'm far from an expert and there may have been a unusual paint scheme out there that left them off. the only german planes i've found without the swastikas on them were captured ones that the allies used to test. Also some of these planes used by other countries would prob have different national markings.

Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:06 PM UTC
Thanks, I couldnt ask for a more comprehnsive answer

seems like this kit is better reserved for my retirement or just to wait till someone makes a new version.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC
lol glad to help.. I to have this kit (the pro modeler) tucked away in my stash somewhere.. I'm waiting till my "wingy things" skills improve somewhat before taking it on.

btw nice looking cat there.. don't you hate it when they yawn.. it always looks to me like their about to sink their fangs into you..........

Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
actually I like it when cats yawn, the resemblence to their bigger cousins comes through when they do so.
worth mentioning is that Clif, the cat in question, is model friendly and has never harmed a single model or kicked a single PE part to the badlands aka the Rug.

regarding DML's Ju88A4 - Lucky Model has it going for 16$, I think I'll get it anyway and just find a place to cram it untill I too can tackle this project.
probably I'll start building it right away and stop in the middle when the difficulties outlasts the itch to have an 88 on my shelf but you know how it is, its somewhat like marriage, you only think of the first night when its all new and fresh in the box but when it becomes ugly and hard to make something good out of it you just leave it as is....
daselim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

5. could it be that any of the 88's variants carried a scheme without the swastikas? I have been avoiding Luftwaffe subjects because I'm not keen of having swastikas displayd on my shelf.

The latest boxing of the DML Ju-88A-4 includes decal markings for one German aircraft and one aircraft in Hungarian Service on the Eastern Front. The Hungarian variant has the same basic color scheme as the German, but with the different national markings including colored stripes on the tail instead of the swastika. So, if you just ordered the kit, you will be able to build the Hungarian right OOTB.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 08:34 PM UTC
thanks david, I might go that route if I purchase the kit.
was hoping to make a BoB bird though.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Elad,

I dunno if it will be useful, but here's mine: Ju-88
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 04:16 AM UTC
thanks Fred, your Ju88 turned out great.
are these kit decals?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi Elad,

Yes, they are the kit decals.

Word of warning--it took me three decals sheets to get these on. They are not very good--brittle. In a recent post I wrote cautioning one to ALWAYS test a kit's decal with whatever solution you use to apply them, even if you have used the system on that manufacturer's kits 1,000,876,543 times before. Why? Because kit manufacturers usually contract the decals out to other makers, and sometimes change said suppliers during the production run of the kit.

Ask me how I know...
Elad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
lol Fred,
I know the frustration...too bad there ain't many decal sets for this kit...

thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP