_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
IDF A-4N "Scooter" finished
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
I got the finishing touches done on the Scooter today. The washes took me three days, much longer than I anticipated. I mix each of the camo colors with black, and apply it with a #000 brush. I also remove the excess with a #000 brush, which is why it took so long. There's a LOT of surface detail on this kit !

The camo is freehand, airbrushed with Gunze Sangyo acrylics. The washes are enamel, over a protective coat of Future.

In case you haven't seen any of my previous posts, this is Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4N Skyhawk in Israeli Defence Force markings. The kit is OOB, with the exception of a True Details resin seat. I also used the kit decals. I built it for a customer, which is why you see me building a non-WW II aircraft. The customer will be adding the ordinanace, so I'm shipping it without the sway braces.

Hope you like it, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

Here's a link to the construction pics: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/skyhawkbuild.htm

Thanks for the opportunity to share this build with you, and again, Happy Holidays !
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
This is really cool. Kind of peaked my interest into this kit. How was the kit? Fits, problems?

Merry Christmas
Jeff
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
I like it a lot. The colors look great. I gave up years ago on kitbashing Monogram's OA-4M and Esci's A-4 M/N to get an acceptable kit. I'll have to look into that kit. One minor thing though-it might benefit from the extended tailpipe the Israelis added to those particular aircraft.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:59 PM UTC
Bill, another stunning model, as usual. I like to see the Israeli colours on aircraft, especially when done this well. Although I'm not into modern stuff the "Scooter" is one that is in my "might do at some time" list, which it has now just moved up a couple of places.
Thanks Bill, love it
Mal
EasyOff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 06:53 PM UTC
I've got to agree, you did a very nice job with this piece. Its not over done, its clean, it looks like something anyone would be proud to hop in and fly. Those IDF markings say... you better take me seriously. What's the next project? I'm looking forward to it.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:51 PM UTC
Very, very nice Bill. I like the way these jets sit, I imagine it was tough to land these on a carrier, great job, Merry Christmas, Wingman out.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:06 PM UTC
Thank you Jeff, 18Bravo, Mal, and EasyOff !

Jeff - the only gap I had was at the wing/fuselage joint, which I filled with MicroScale Krystal Kleer. You can see the gap on the page of progress pics to which I provided a link. It shows in the profile shot in the "Assembling the Airframe" section. I'd suggest getting the True Details resin seat, as it looks MUCH better than the kit's. They come two to a package for about $4.

18Bravo - the Israelis used a few different versions, but not all had the extended tailpipe. When I was doing my research, I found scores of pics of IDF Skyhawks. It looks better without it, anyway !

Mal - I like these camo colors together. The Japanese Army used similar colors in China, so I'm looking for a bird from that Theater.

EasyOff - I keep the contrast low on the aircraft I build. I'd rather have a viewer look for the details, rather than have them leap forward. I prefer a whisper to a shout. They don't jump out on a real aircraft, so why should they on a model? Here's a link to my "Future Projects" : http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/futureprojects.htm
I also just got Classic Airframes' Sm 79 Spaviero, which I want to start soon. I also have Dragon's Fw 190A-7 (with slipper tanks), and Hasegawa's P-47 (with Teknics cockpit) on the bench. Add to that four aircraft from the 1969 "Soccer Wars," three Corsairs and a P-51D. Those are being built for another customer. I like to keep many "irons in the fire" at once. It keeps me alert !

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays !
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC
Thanks Wingman !

You must have posted while I was typing my verbose response. I type with one finger, which probably means that I build faster than I type !
I've always wondered how strong the gear was on this aircraft. They're tall enough to carry nuclear weapons, but the don't look very robust. I don't imagine landing on a carrier is easy with any aircraft, but this one looks even chancier.

Thanks again !
EasyOff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC
Bill, how did you do the panel lines, I was wondering if it was done with some kind of drafting pencil or something. I don't have any planes done yet, but I OWN a ton of them. Someday I need to get busy on some, most of them are the expensive kits of the F15, the Tomcat, the F-18 etc.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
I do my washes with enamels, over a protective coat of Future. Each color is mixed with black until I reach a shade that matches the shadows I see on the model under a light. I mix on the thick side, which prevents it from running into another color area. Acrylics dry too quickly for the method I use, and I prefer to use enamels. A lot of experimentation and practice is needed to determine how much thinner to add for the wash, and how damp the brush needs to be with thinner to remove the excess. I've been doing all my washes like this for over 10 years, and I prefer it to any other method I've tried or seen used. It takes more work, and more time, to use this method.
jlmurc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 06:06 AM UTC
Only one thing to say here 'SMASHING', I am full of admiration.

John
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC
Great build! Best looking skyhawk I've seen!!

I have to start building some Israeli stuff, once I get over my obsession with the Swedish Airforce and 1/72.

I've actually already bought the Eduard Mirage III in 1/48, but I haven't decided if I should make it NMF 1967 or camouflage 1973. Your model makes a strong case for the camo version.

uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC

Hi Pix,
Seems your right at home with the fast jets as well with the WWII war birds. Very nice work on the Scooter. Nice change of pace for you I imagine now that you have your ad out. I'm sure this will not be your last. It has been awhile. Good to see your work. Great sight for sore eyes.

Chuck
Fly Navy
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 04:53 PM UTC
Bill,
She looks great!!! Love the camo finish nice Job.
I hate to see what she looks like after you ship it.
 _GOTOTOP