spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
I'm planning to build the AM B-25, and with all the detail it's kind of sad it's hidden once you close the fuselage. Since I saw many kits (and real-life armor) where holes were opened to show the interior, I'm planning to do the same. The one thing: I have never tried this before and I really don't want to mess up this kit.
Any suggestions? What kinds of detailing need to be done on the vicinity of the "hole"? (like the structure of the airframe, the scale thickness, whatever)
How do you make an opening like this? (Drilling holes around the intended opening is the only way I can think of.)
I would really appreciate any comments, advice on this matter. Thanks.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Andras,

I have never done so, and understand that doing so can cause the model to bend and warp, depending on how much cutting you do.

On an airplane with good detail, what I would do is make my cuts near, but not where, the bulkheads will be. I would also glue steel or brass rod as close to the cut--on the inside out of site.

I would also consider leaving the canopy and gun turrets free for removal. Or even cut along the panel lines of the area around the turret.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the answer and sorry for waiting that long...
I'll think of something, but the warping really struck me. Before I do it on the B-25 I'll play around with something else.
 _GOTOTOP