_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Rogers Heavylift
air5
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
This is an Italari 212 kits. Basic interioi. the exterior was modified with under nose lights, pilot mirrors. The skids were modified to the Hi Skid standard with new steps. A water tank was made and the siphon ( snorkel) was added. All decals are from Model Railroad letter sets or hand made.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
Interesting conversion.
Looks good.
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC
Now that is cool, I've actually I've flown on that helicopter, but it didn't have a tank mounted, it used a bucket.
It was assigned to Helitack 527 from the Los Padres NF in 2000.

Nice job, is the blue / yellow painted or decals?

You can't read the tail number in this pic but on the original you can, it is the same N911VR.
air5
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
Thanks, 911VR is painted., I was up at Angels Camp on the Angeles to take pictures. I believe it sister ship is now painted the same. You were on the helitac crew. did they split the crew? some flew, some were buggied? Keep safe I'll probably send you on a fire next year if your still on the crews.
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
No I'm an engine slug but I went with a handcrew a couple of times in 2000 and that helicopter shuttled us in and out of a fire on several occasions. I just looked through some of my older pictures, I also worked with that helicopter in 1999 in Nevada it does have a tank in those pics.

Our Helitack 520 on the Sierra had a Rodger's 212 this year but it has a different paint scheme, just blue and white.

Anyway it was neat seeing someone build something I have worked on, I think that is a first not including stuff I built myself.
air5
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 04:46 AM UTC
Glad you liked it. Acually I have two ERA helo. one was BDF's contract copter. The other,is one of thier Super Pumas, as well one each of CA-LAC's copters, and about to start an ARIS s58. Eng. slug?? I just tell other where to go (well where others are going).
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
I've been on an ERA 212 too, I believe it was being used by BLM's helitack 555 out of Bakersfield. I had a look through your gallery, very nice work. I've started a few firefighting aircraft but haven't finished any yet, I like aircraft but the kits test me, so much harder to hide mistakes. I have done several USFS vehicles though.

I hope its not uncooth to mention another site but if you haven't seen it the Scale Firehouse you might have a look, they could use more aircraft people over there.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:54 PM UTC
Wow that looks great Glen. Nice job on the paint and colors. It's nice to see something colorful, I always wanted to do something (huey) other than military, but it always comes out drab with some unit markings on it. What scale is it in, 1/48th, and the modified parts, did you make most of them or find them online.
air5
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 01:45 PM UTC
The model is Italiari's 212, 1/72nd scale. the water tank, steps and mirriors are all made by me. The decals are from Model Railroad letters and numbers.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 05:23 PM UTC
Air5,
Nice build. Its cool to see any Helo, but even beter if its a Firefighter. Im building one of the Helos that I wokred on too. A Carson S-61L with full interior.
When I was fighting fires in CA
air5
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
Thakks, but how do you get from Philly to CA to fight fires in an S-61L. The Carson model should look kool, I have a kit stashed away for one of those to. now I have an ARIS S-58 and a rework on my Air Rescue 5 LA co Sheriffs copter. Let us see the Fireking When your done or even inprogress..
 _GOTOTOP