_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
blue tac/white tac??
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 10:55 PM UTC
Im ready to start adding the green area of camoflage over a brown base on my 1/72 Airfix Mk 1 Spitfire.
Thankyou Jean-Luc for the link and advice.
What differences are there between blue and white tac?
I have both.
Also,,the first time I tried using bluetac on a model it left greasy stains behind and I couldnt get them off.Anyone else had this?

I presume that the method is to outline the area to be masked with tac and then use masking tape to cover the main masked area.
Any other tips/advice before I take the plunge would be greatfully recieved.
Thanks
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Quoted Text

I presume that the method is to outline the area to be masked with tac and then use masking tape to cover the main masked area.

That's correct! But I would use normal paper rather than masking tape. Tape sticks like hell to Blu-Tack and will be hard to remove at the end of the process (try it before and you will see!)

I'm a little bit surprised Blu-Tack left greasy stains on your model! The product is know for leaving less stains as the yellow one. As for the white Tack, I didn't used it yet.
I didn't had problems with any Tack I used though. Make sure to let your paint dry thoroughly. This means 24 hours for enamel paints, and I would recommand at least 6 hours for acrylics. you better be patient!
Once you are finished, wait until the paint is "touch" dry and remove the Tack as soon as possible. No need to let it adhere more than necessary on your paint (specially on hot summer days). If there is a little leftover on your model, make a little ball with tack and take off the residu with it, it works fine.
You will see the method is long in preparation... but after the airbrushing is quickly and easely done!

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc.
How long to you recommend until the paint is "touch dry"?
Obviously I dont want to test by touching the model and leaving fingerprints in semi dry paint.

Im using enamels.

Its a great challenge building this Spit to the highest standard I can after being away from the hobby for so long and Im really enjoying it.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:55 AM UTC
I don't think that there is any difference between White and Blue Tac, I have used both for masking.

Here's a 1/48 Hawker hurricane that I masked using White Tac. I rolled even sausages between 2 boards, then squashed the sausages (leave them round if you want slight overspray). I then cut them down the middle and used this cut edge to mark out the camouflage pattern. The thinner the sausages are squshed the tight you can make the curves. I filled in with low tac tape, being carefull not to leave tape beyond the White tac, or a "false" edge is created.

The finished article, well painted and decalled

Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks guys thats brilliant.
Im using the wings from my lancaster as a testbed for all the new techniques im learning from this site.Secure in the knowledge that I can just spray it with oven cleaner when the time comes to build the Lanc.(another hint from the site,and tried and tested!)
The photos are fabulous and serve as a great inspiration for my efforts!!

The better half is moaning that Im spending all my time modelling nowdays but she hasnt got a leg to stand on as she bought me the Spit in the first place! :-)
Im taking photos as I go and hope to put the finished model on here in the near future.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im taking photos as I go and hope to put the finished model on here in the near future.

I'm looking forward to that! Pictures are the best way to share our hobby here...

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC

Hopefully Ive typed the link correctly and the photo has uploaded ok.If not,its in my workbench and Im sure that you'll find it.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
Fabulous,,it worked!
So,,heres where Im at right now.
The canopy is just resting in place and the prop is held in place with a cocktail stick.
I will post another pic when Ive applied the green part of the camoflage.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
Nigel...

Seems everything is perfect until now! This is an ideal base for a Blu-Tack sausage technique! Good luck!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
Looking good Nigel

Just so you know, you don't have to type the link for a picture from the gallery. Open the pic and underneith it you will see the link, including "image tags", to the right of that is a button, click that and the link including the tags will be copied. Now go to your post, place the curser and "Paste", the link with tags will be pasted into your post. If I want multiple pics I open a word doc, copy and paste into it then highlight, "copy" then paste the lot into my post
Mal
 _GOTOTOP