_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
air superiority- U.S. or Russia?
jinithith2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
I was taking a loooooooooooong car ride (yeah, with 12 o's :-) ) and I was pondering the question- which nation has the best airpower???
Now, this question might sound really naive to you, but I don't know a lot about (just coupla facts about planes here and there) the capabilities of a nation's air force, so I thought I would ask in this ever-helpful forum.
Thanks!

Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
I think the anwer to that question will depend on your criteria.. and the anwers you will get will be varied..

heres my fav.

Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

first flown 1970

U.S. Navy Fleet Defence aircraft.

Still considered one of the worlds most potent intercepters.

Its mix of air to air weapons can engage targets from a few hundred feet to over 100 miles.

its radar is the most capable long-range airborne interception radar carried by any fighter today.

the F-14 was designed to carry the AIM-54 Phoenix missle with a range of over 120 miles. Enemy aircraft can be engaged before the tomcat even appears on their radar.

and this is a aircraft over 30 years old.... so go figure..

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 03:56 PM UTC
You might find some answers here: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-861.html

Good luck!
Red-Dead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
Since the fall of communisim in the USSR Id have to easily say the US holds the edge. But the russians sure did/do know how to make some great, functional aircraft.

My pick for the all time greatest air weapon...... F-15 Eagle. Fast, potent, air-to-air capable and now an air-to-ground version.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP