_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
f15 colour problem help please
pod123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC
i,m currently doing the tamiya 1/32 f15 e eagle the instructions state ts48 (gunship gray)as the fuesalage colour having sprayed the air intakes it seems much to dark and much darker than pictures of the kit made i,ve seen on here i,m considering changing the main colour to as26(light ghost grey) in the tamiya aircraft colour range would this be an accetable colour and it says there a synthetic lacquer paint is this ok to use with enamels and accrylics ???
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
I can't speak from experience, but I imagine that enamel and acrylic OVER the laquere is OK. Laquere is usually "hotter" than the others and may attack the enamel and acrylic.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
The E (Strike Eagle) should be dark gray.

Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 364 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Pod hello and Happy new year!
I was a very good fun of the f-15E Eagle and i made 2 of them in 1/72!
The collours i used was Light Gull Gray for the main colour and Dark Gull Gray for the 2nd from MoelMaster!
If you made any F-14 or other American Gray pattern aircraft the main colour should be almost the same!
The result of the 2 colous was approvable from me!You can check the colours if you like and deside!
Happy modelling!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Al has hit the nail on the head. The E (Strike Eagle) has been one color that I know of. The others are the the A/C Series. Although I could be wrong on this.
The pic below shows the FS# for the paint used and it is Gunship Gray.

Hope this helps

Paul
pod123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
hi guys thanks for replying so it seems i should stick to the box colour of gunship gray my worry is that its so dark i,ll loose some of the detail and secondly would i then have to use black oil wash to do the panel lines ????
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC
Pod use the Matt Gull Gray No. 140 Humbrol and you will remember me!
Cheers!!
FOXBAT31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hello again Pod ,

Though I haven't ventured into painting with lacquers or enamels over acrylics, and thus could not provide any advice in that area, I do think that either DARK or EXTRA DARK SEA grays, used in some Brittish Navy a/c, could be reasonably acceptable equivalents to gunship grey (FS3118, or something like that). I am currently away from home and can't confirm that by consulting my references, but do look these colors over. Also, keep in mind that in order to preserve an adequate representation of scale colors, these should be lightened up a bit, especially in the smaller scales.

Martin
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pod use the Matt Gull Gray No. 140 Humbrol and you will remember me!
Cheers!!

Why are you telling Pod to use a color that was never sprayed on an F-15E Strike Eagle. That color was only used on the A's and C's . Every referance you find will quote Gunship Gray.
jlmurc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Pod,
I thought that I would join in and try to help. Gunship Grey is exactly the right colour although in different types of natural light, sun etc it can look darker or lighter. I am certain about this as I live only 11 miles from Lakenheath and so see the Strike Eagles overflying my house and in the local area, each time that I am out and about. Please dont re-paint it in a lighter tone. As it is a major investment in building one of those birds, I would recommend buying the Verlinden lock on book about the bird and its claws and you will see exactly how dark it can look.

Happy New Year,

John
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:29 PM UTC
Pod:

Here are some pics of the Strike Eagle I finished not to long ago. Not my best work or the best pics but hopefully the color of the bird will ease your mind about how dark the gray is.

I know the images are a little dark, but when I used a flash on the camera. It made the gray look lighter than it was really suppose to be.

Hopefully this will ease your worries about how dark the gray you are using is. I used the same color as listed on the paint chart of my last post on this thread.

Good Luck and I hope this helps you out.

Paul
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Pod,

You might like F-15E Strike Eagle dot Com
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why are you telling Pod to use a color that was never sprayed on an F-15E Strike Eagle. That color was only used on the A's and C's . Every referance you find will quote Gunship Gray.

Todd forgive if i'm wrong to this one but as pod said he doesn't like the shade of the Gunship Gray and he is asking for something better!
Gull Gray it may never been used in f-15e in reality but it offers a nice result on the model.That's why i told him to TRY IT and he will see!Anyway!
Cheers to all!
pod123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC
guys many thanks for your intrest in this and time in replying thanks for the colour option blade i have that paint and personanly it is exactly the colour i was looking for however for reasons of an accurate reproduction of the aircraft i feel i must overide personal preferance and stick with the original colour stated both here and by tamiya many thanks once again i,ll get pics up soon promise
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hi Pod,

Model Paint Cross References
 _GOTOTOP