_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/72 Spitfire MK1 Progress So Far
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi everyone.
Heres my first model for 20 years as it stands at the moment.
Im waiting for my microsol/set to arrive so I can finish it,but after messing around with the camera for a while earlier I couldnt resist putting a photo on here.
Model has been coated in Klear and the prop/undercarriage/canopy are just resting in place.
Ive started the Airfix ME109 while Im waiting to finish the Spit.Cant wait to have a go at the Luftwaffe mottled camo!!!
Happy New Year everyone and Happy Modelling

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hope the photo comes out ok this time

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Great result! I think you will have fun with decaling. it's one of the steps I like most when I build a model. It gives the plane his personality... enjoy it!
Some parts of the plane are too shiny (tyres) but I think you will fix that at a later stage.

Bon travail mon ami! Bravo!

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC
hi, nigel is the spitfire airfix as well? looking at your pic if it is airfix, the decals will go on really easily. which version of the 109 are you building? i love building these "under a fiver" kits oob, especially after a big build i.e. bombers with lots of p/e stuff or WW1 its with lots of rigging
keep up the good work!
phil
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC
Hi Nigel, Always makes me smile to see a Spitfire, 'cos we all know "you just can't have too many Spitfires"
Looking good, will be excellant when finished

I agree with Jean-Luc, the tyres are to shiny, also, if it isn't to late, consider painting the tyres very dark grey, ( I actually use "tyre black" from the colourcoats range) looks more realistic, IMHO
Here's a pic of one of my 109's to illustrate the point. The wheel is gloss black, the tyre is tyre black.

Mal
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 03:39 PM UTC
Nigel,

Camo looks great. Looking forward to seeing it with decals etc.

Cheers!
FOXBAT31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hello Nigel,

That Spitfire is beginning to look sharp. I found these two links that, albeit late, might come in handy:

[url=http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1997/03/stuff_eng_airfix_spitfire.htm

[url=http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1997/11/stuff_eng_detail_spitfire1.htm

This is my first posting on this site, and I hope there is nothing wrong with referring to another site/link

Best of luck,

FOXBAT31
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:25 PM UTC
Hi Nigel:

Your Spit looks great ! What brand is the kit ?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi everyone and thanks for your comments.
It is indeed the Airfix MK 1a.
I was thinking the tyres were a bit shiny myself and a dulling is down on the list. Humbrol matt black isnt as matt as it should be is it?
I spent hours last night making up masks in an attempt to paint on the red tape over the machine gun ports,but when I finally got one the size I wanted I couldnt get the paint to "take". I was practicing on something else of course.
Is there a problem painting over Klear?

The next project is the AIrfix Me 109 in 1/72. Fabulous 109 Mal! At the moment its looking like being sprayed in grey splinter camo with a yellow cowling and rudder with grey mottle. Ive ordered a stencil from Hannants for this. Cop out or right move?
Quick question while were on the subject of the 109.
The painting instructions suggest a 50/50 mix of 28 (camouflage grey) and 65 (aircraft blue).
Is there a single colour that would be accurate?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is my first posting on this site, and I hope there is nothing wrong with referring to another site/link

Hi Foxbat31!

Welcome to Armorama!

No, there is no problem linking to other sites and... I hope it's not your last post!

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:25 PM UTC
its possible your humbrol matt black has settled in the tin, what happens when tins sit on shop displays for a while the binder and pigment separate, the binder will sit at the top of the tin, is glossy even if its matt paint and will take ages to dry, you should shake and stir paint always before using to sort this out. when i got back into the hobby i built a ju 88 and because the tins were all brand new but had been on the shelves for ages i ended up with a glossed kit, but left it like that because i'd used the right paint, not realising it was'nt meant to shine!
FOXBAT31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hello again Nigel,

Here's another link, but this one is about the use of 'Future', Klir', 'Klear' or whatever it is called at the country you live in:

//http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

And thanks to Jean-Luc for his kind welcome and reassurance that posting links is not 'verbotten.'

Here is the link again in case I messed up with the first one:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Cheers, and we're looking forward to seeing both Battle of Brittain contenders!

P.S. I've painted over future, and have not encountered any problems; Future is very resillient and I guess that other than acid, it could only be affected by ammonia.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:19 AM UTC
What I do to simulate the red tape over the machine gun ports is to paint a piece of Tamiya masking tape in red with my airbrush. Then cut it to the size and place it over the ports. It works well in 1/48, guess it´s the same in 1/72.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks for all your comments guys.
The tyres have been dulled and weathered.I ended up drybrushing them in a dark grey and its worked quite well.I even managed to get some white "slippage" marks on there while I was at it.
Masking tape painted red is a great idea and I shall be doing something along those lines for my gun ports.Might use normal masking tape as it has a rougher surface similar to the tape they used at the time.
Only query is do I apply them before or after the matt varnish?
Could even put the hole back to simulate that the guns have been fired if you use that method as well.
Going to be a long week waiting for the microsol/set to arrive so I can apply the decals and really give this Spit some character!
Until then,its back to the 109
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:06 PM UTC
What I do is first to apply the gral. weathering, mate coat and then the red tape over the ports. I use Model Master enamel and it doesn´t look too shiny over the masking tape (red). Give a try.
 _GOTOTOP