_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
rescribing panel lines
pod123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
hi all whats the best tool for rescribing panel lines i,ve been carefully using a sharp knife but can any one recomend an appropiate tool or tip???
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hello Pod,
I use a scribing tool, you can get them on-line or at your local hobbyshop. Once you use it you'll never waht to put it down I paid around $7-8 for it. Very simple to use tool. To aid in my scribing I like to use Dymo tape. Dymo tape is used for label making and can be found at any office supply store. I find it to work better than a scribing template. Simply to use, just peel and stick and it conforms very well.

scribing tool,

Dymo tape,

Once you have the tape laid out, just simply follow along the tape using the scribing tool. The more passes the deeper the line. You'll be pleased using it.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
An Olfa "P" cutter is great, this may help:
Scribing made EEZEE

Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi pod123!

Here's basically the stuff I use for rescribing panel lines...

I guess it's nothing extraordinary. But I would recommend you to buy one of those Photo Etched template set (mine is from Verlinden) if you plan to make several projects. I payed 27 € for mine at my LHS but it was worth every penny as I use it all the time!
The brush is useful to clean the scribed lines. Joe already told you why Dimo tape was good for. Toothpicks are also excellent to give the scribed line a nice even finish. It must be sanded sharp quite often though...
Sometimes, you can scribe along existing raised panel lines and use them as "natural" templates. Once sanded down, the engraved ones will remain...

Jean-Luc
pod123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
thanks mal for the link i,ve read the article where in the uk can i get the tools you talk of as i live in backward devon and the model shops here just look at me blankly sometimes if i ask for stuff other than brushes !!!!!
jlmurc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
The scribing tool in the picture is available from Squadron and is so sharp it will enter your skin with no help. Look for a sqaudron supplier in the UK and get them to order it. Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds, my local shop ordered mine.

John
jlmurc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Bare Metal BMPP3 from dare I sat it Hannants.

Hope it helps.

John
FOXBAT31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hello and Happy New Year pod123,

Many years ago, I read in a Francois Verlinden book (ON PLASTIC WINGS), a tip that expiains how you can make your own scribing tool; I myself use that.

For this you´ll need:

-cutting pliers
-an unused X-acto handle with a collet which grabs from four angles (not just from two sides)
-pins or needles

PROCEDURE:

Safety first and do wear eye protection before proceeding with the first step.

-cut the head of the needle or pinhead; the leftover pin should measure a few milimiters long.
-place the pin inside the partially closed collet of the X-acto handle, and tighten the x-acto nut tightly.
-the pin should extend only a couple of milimeters out of the x-acto handle, if it is too long, it will wobble and be unnecessarily dificult to control and unprecise. If too short, well, it will be TOO SHORT ( res ipsa loquitur ).

As always, you must exercise maximum caution when working with sharp objects or cutting tools, and wear eye protection to prevent eye injury.

Martin

P.S. I do not have that book with me at this moment, and am typing this by somewhat faulty memory. I can quote that passage verbatum as soon as I get my hands back on the book, and post here or send you that article.

The big advantage of this homemade scriber is that, besides being inexpensive, when the tip dulls, you can always put a new one in for fractions of a penny.
pod123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
excellant tip martin thanks very much i,ll try that first before spending any more cash :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP