_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
My Bo 105 PAH-1
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:51 AM UTC
This is a 1/32 Scale Bo 105 PAH-1 "Tiger 16" Helicopter from Revell. This is my first German Helicopter. She went togather with a few problem, biggest being the bubble canopy. Pretty much built out of box with the exception of the seatbelts and harness’s. I had trouble matching up the instruction colors, so using the photo of the real Bo 105 on the side of the box I was able to match the colors using what I had by dabbing the paint onto the photo. Base color was Model Masters medium green with a drop of light gray. For the purplish color, I mixed Tamiya’s bright red and navy blue. Tamiyas flat white was added along the tail boom and fin. Applied a few coats of Future and applied on the decals followed by two coats of Testors dull coat.

Additional photos can be found in my gallery, and I also did a product review which can be found on my profile page.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
thats a real nice piece of work, joe. the droop on the main rotors catches your eye straight away, is that how they are in the kit or did you do some tweaking? also what is that wire/antenna underneath the rear rotor?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hi Mother!

Great model! You did a fantastic job again! Congratulations Are these decals on the rocket launcher? The painting is very colorfull... it must have been a decoration for a meeting. I can't imagine someone going to war with such a paint job! :-)

Anyway, the model looks awesome!

Jean-Luc

P.S. you could have entered it in the "Teeth" Campaign!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:27 AM UTC
Thanks Phil and Jean,
Phil I did the rotor droop by bending them under hot running tap water, and the part under the tail boom is the Rotor Protecting Tailskid. It’s mainly used when the Helicopter comes in on an aggressive landing, it acts as a bumper protecting the tail rotor from hitting the ground.

Jean, yes those are decals on the rocket launchers. Had a bit of a fit problem with them but all and all they worked out. As for the colorful paint the German army started to demobilize its units; this gave the Bo 105s from Aircraft Division 162 in Celle the opportunity to bid farewell in a special livery with the heraldic animals of the unit, the tiger and the gryphon were painted on both sides.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 04:59 PM UTC
Cool looking chopper Joe, it certainly catches the eye. The drooping of the rotors looks very convincing.
Are there any British used choppers such as the Lynx and Gazelle on the market in this scale?
Apart from my loadmasters seat ride, in a Chinook ,around the Falklands (after the last drop off of stores, rations and personnel, apart from me, 'cos I was heading to the very south west corner of west Falklands. I was offered the seat between the baulkheads, just behind and in between the pilot and co-pilot. With no one else on board it was time to "play", wow what a ride, all the dials seemed to be always in the red zone and lights were flashing all over the place and I had the biggest smile on my face. After that I was even more impressed with the "Wokker". And my trip in a Gazelle when heading to Goose Green, which I won't go into here and all the other "interesting" chopper rides I had in Northern Ireland. One of my over riding memories of working with Helicopters, was when on exercise in Germany, while on a recce I stopped at a picnic area for a break (well it was 4 o'clock and time for tea ), a gazelle appeared, circled once, hovered over a gap in the trees, which was not much bigger than the rotor disc, descended and landed. The pilot turned off the engine, got out and came to join me. He was an ex Sapper (Royal Engineers) and had seen my vehical markings and decided, as it was 4 o'clock he would join me for tea We had a nice chat then I watched him leave, amazed how he could get the Gazelle through that gap.
Sorry but your choppers always remind me of these events, and more, I just love choppers and really should have joined the AAC (Army Air Corps)
Mal
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:24 PM UTC
Joe, looks awesome. Graet job. I love the paint job and decals. Excellent work as usual.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
Fabulous job!
The drooping rotor blades make it for me,and the decalling is great.
Makes for a really interesting finish.
Cheers on job well done
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:17 PM UTC
Joe,
Rotorhead LOVES Helo's, especially when they are 1OFF schemes like this. You dont see Helos with to lively paint schemes anymore, but you did a FANTASTIC job in Execution. I think I have this in 1/48 as well. On my "to DO" list too. You did a good job in mixing colors and palying paint matchmaker. She Looks real good. Love the Rotor Droop.
 _GOTOTOP