_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Remembering 2005
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 03:51 PM UTC
Well, as the year 2005 closes to an end, I want to wish you a happy new 2006.

2005 was the year in which (among other things) I rediscovered modelling after 20 odd years away from the hobby. Things have surely developed, and without the advise from people like the ones here at this forum, it would have been a whole lot more difficult (and less fun!)

:-)

2005 was also the last year in operational service for one of the coolest and most beautiful aircraft of the cold war era, the Saab 37 Viggen. Here are some pictures to inspire you for some great new builds in 2006!

Cheers!!
HONEYCUT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:32 PM UTC
Gday Polar!
Jet planes aren't really my bag,but my very first model plane was a Saab Viggen, and to me it represented the most futuristic thing, and what all fighterplanes looked like! Naturally it was assembled and decals applied without painting
Thanks for the great pics
Cheers
Brad
Lyckligt nytt ar!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:48 PM UTC
i.ve been on the look out for a viggen in that splinter scheme for a while now, i'd love to have a go at painting that!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi Björn!

Happy New Year!

I remember having built the Viggen in my youth. Did Matchbox made one? Or was it Heller? Anyway, it's a great looking plane... even if it has no propellers!

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:35 PM UTC
Hi all,

Glad you liked the photos of this magnificent aircraft.

It's a shame that most of the remaining Viggens are going to be turned into beer cans (according to the news the other day). Unlike the Jas 39 Gripen, most of the Viggen was made from aluminum - Something to think about when having a nice cold one next summer!

Jean-Luc - Heller (attack-, fighter- and reconaissance- verisons), Arifix, Hasegawa and Revell (the two-seated trainer verison) has the Viggen in 1/72. Heller's kit must be almost as old as the plane itself, but is considered the best. Airfix just re-released the old Esci fighter version in 1/48 (very basic though, according to most reviews I've seen) - there are some aftermarket detailing sets though (Neomega etc).

Honeycut - When I was young, few of us dared to paint the Viggen. During those years the "pile of leafs"-camouflage was the only one used!!! (This was in the golden days, before everything turned grey and dull).

Anyhows, here's a picture of the last flight on November 25th 2005, after 34 years of duty.

Cheers!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi PolarBear. I agree, this site is very useful and friendly, hats off to everyone involved putting their time and effort into keeping this site up and running. I was wondering if you could tell me what type of camera was used to take those cool pics of that jet. Happy New Year to all, Wingman out.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hello PolarBear,
I'd also have to agree with your comments about Armorama. I'm just finishing up my first model in 20 years as well and the amount of information I have learned from all the folks on this site is awsome. I figured that people who do such nice builds would eventually get tired of "rookies" such as myself asking questions, but that isn't the case here. Everyone has gone out of their way to help me with the numerous problems I have encountered with my Spitfire build.

I hope everyone has safe and happy new year and may the fun continue for a long, long time.
 _GOTOTOP