_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
O-2A Skymaster help
Red-Dead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 01:25 AM UTC
Ok, I got all my paint in and started painting parts for my Hellcat. So I started working on the Testors O-2A Skymaster kit I got with the order. I already ran into a problem of sorts. The kit is set up so you can do both an O-2a and O-2B. Thus the 4 additional wondows of the A model are not cut out. You either have to hand cut them or use dorky blue decals that simulate the windows. I chose to cut them out. I made a template of each window suing masking tape and transferred it to the model. Then I drilled a bunch of holse to aid in cutting out the sections. In order to keep the windows from falling into the cabin and aid in gluing them I beveled the outside edge. Now the windows are a pretty good fit, but the bevel shows enough I want to do something about it. Im thinking of masking the windows, gluing them in (with white glue) and then use green putty around the edges. Im thinking that I can then sand down to the masking tape, carefuly cut and remove, and then have a perfect window. Does this sound like a good plan? Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks,
Brian
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:05 AM UTC
I built that kit years ago, the way I did the windows was rather simple, I cut the openings, fitted the windows as best as possible, glued in with 5 minute epoxy, after it cured over night simply sanded it all smooth, then polished out the scratches from the clear plastic windows.
Applied masking tape cut to shape over the windows, and primed and painted.
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:01 PM UTC
I would fear that the green putty would craze the clear plastic. Maybe filling with a thick super glue or lots more white glue?
Red-Dead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:54 PM UTC
Hmmm, maybe Ill try the 5 minute epoxy. Did you coat the windows with Future first?
Brian
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
I would try masking the windows and then puttying and sanding. If only small amounts of putty are required, the masking tape should protect the clear parts.
I don't recommend super glue, even if the part is on the outside, there's still the risk of getting the part foggy.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:51 AM UTC
No --- no future, I guess you could apply some to the inside, but you'll be sanding and polishing the outside so future on the outside is a mute point.

One of those Squadron triple grit polishing sticks works fine.
Red-Dead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 07:55 AM UTC
Then thats what Ill try, the 5 minute epoxy. Ironically I was looking at Wal-Mart at the 5 minute epoxy and almost bought some, but I decided to pass since I couldnt think of a ue for it at that moment. All along not knowing about using it for my O-2A......oh well, go figure :-) .
Brian
salt6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
You can future the windows as a last step. This will help with the very fine scratches.
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Who makes this kit?, what scale is it?
Red-Dead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:56 AM UTC
Its a Testors 1/48 scale. Its an oddball little plane which is why I wanted it :-) .
Brian
 _GOTOTOP