Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Me 209 Mustang hunter
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC
Here are some pics of my newest model, the 1/72 scale Huma Me 209.

I painted and marked this model to represent what this a/c might have looked like had it been mass produced and used by the Luftwaffe in WWII.

Matrixone
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Very nice plane Matrixone. I have a kit similar to that in my (very small) stash. I'm waiting for my airbrushing skills to get a little better before I take on that kind of camo scheme. Your did an awsome on yours.

One question, how did you get that background shot of the hills and sky? Did you find it on the web and blow it up or what? I'm wanting to do something like that myself to display my planes for photos.
Again, nice job.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi Les!

Great pictures, as usual, of an unusual plane! I like the idea of the different camouflage pattern on the engine panels and cowlings. Seems the mechanics have taken them from another plane. This happened quite often towards the end of the war. Nice touch!

Jean-Luc
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Thanks Hermon and Jean-Luc!

Hermon,
My models are photographed on a photobase I made in 2004, the backdrop I am using now is from a model RR scenery set, I will be airbrushing a new and better backdrop later this year.

Jean-Luc,
After reading Ken Merricks new book(Vol.1) on Luftwaffe colors I learned that in the last full year of the war the Germans used many sub-contracters to build their aircraft parts, sometimes the different parts were painted in whatever paints that were available at the time which resulted in the completed aircraft having some non-standard colors and camouflage patterns.
My Me 209 is painted in a ''patchwork'' style of camouflage as seen on very late war Bf 109s and Fw 190D-9s.

Matrixone
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
Fabulous job.
The mottle is lovely and I like the waved edge to the splinter camo on the wings too.Did you airbrush the mottle freehand or using stencils/card?
The backgrounds are a nice touch as well.
The only doubt I have now is which is better,,your modelling skills or your photography skills? :-)
How about a campaign for "most realistic photograph"?
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
Nigel,
Thanks for the kind words!

Most of the camouflage on my Me 209 was painted free handed no masks were used.
The only areas that were masked off while painting were the wing roots, tail, and engine cowl that have a sharp edge to them.

I use a Badger 150 with the fine needle and head assembly, when I painted the scalloped camouflage on the wings and did the mottles on the fuselage I thinned my paint more than usual and lowered the air pressure to the airbrush which allows me to spray very fine lines when I hold the airbrush close to the model.
When I painted the camouflage on the wings I did the squiggly lines first and filled in the rest afterwards with paint not thinned so much for better coverage.

Matrixone

spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hey, Les, your your 209 looks fabulous. I haven't built a WW2 fighter since I was a little kid, and I've forgotten all I knew about the Luftwaffe. I don't think I've ever seen that model. How does it differ from the 109? I can see the nose is a bit different, but what else?
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
David,
The wings, landing gear, and tail are also quite different than the Bf 109. The area of the fuselage between the firewall and tail unit are pretty much from the 109.

Thanks for the comments!

Matrixone
 _GOTOTOP