_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Testor's Metalizer
mac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
I've never used Alcad, SNJ, or Testor's Metalizer for metal finishes on my planes but I'd like to try Testor's Metalizer especially for exhaust nozzles on modern jet aircraft. Before I invest in it though I'd like to request some info on it from anyone who has used it before.
1) Must it be sealed with their Sealer or can I use Future's?
2) Can I mask it and airbrush acrylics over the top of it?
3) Does it react as poorly as Testors warns to masking tape (I usually use Tamiya)?

Any other advice or hints on it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...Kevin
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1) Must it be sealed with their Sealer or can I use Future's?

If you are going to be handlling the model, sealing is not a bad idea, but this will reduce the look of real metal. This is also more crucial on buffing metalizer, rather than the plina stuff

Quoted Text

2) Can I mask it and airbrush acrylics over the top of it?
3) Does it react as poorly as Testors warns to masking tape (I usually use Tamiya)?

Buffing metalilzer is very fragile and doesn't like to be taped over. If you must mask it, try to use post-it notes. Almost any masking tape will pull it up. However, the stuff airbrushes super thin and can be retouched relatively easily. You might want to take the time to mask what will be natural metal and paint your kit's painted surfaces then come back and mask off the acrylics and hit the natural metal with metalizer.
Contrary to the cap, this can be applied to small plastic areas by brush and still be buffed (if it is a buffable color.)

Any other advice or hints on it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...Kevin[/quote]
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
ahh good question Mac, was think that same thing today, thanks for the info AjLaFleche

Bender
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 04:35 AM UTC
Alcad does not require any sealer and can be masked and handled without any problems, but it normally requires an acrylic undercoat to protect the plastic and to get the proper metallic luster (particularly for the chrome). The others you mentioned, I understand, require and overcoat to prevent finger prints and cannot be masked over without a overcoat.
goldenturtle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:22 PM UTC
Try using Alcad over gloss black, it may sound strange, but it works great. I have also used 3m parafilm as a mask over metalizer with no problems. Also the Alcad will hold up to handling very well.
Bren
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:19 PM UTC
be sure not to touch the metalizer after it drys, it leaves the worst finger print so I would say seal as soon as possible (:-)
 _GOTOTOP