_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hobbycraft 1/32 aircraft kits, Quality?
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
I've seen several 1:32 scale Hobby craft kits at a reduced price at my local Hobby Lobby. This can mean one of three things: 1) They suck 2) They're overstocked or 3) Two of the above. Specifically, it's the Corsair and The F-105 that are on sale. Does anybody know anything about the quality of these kits?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Chuckster

I haven't seen them in the UK, but I think they're re-boxes of the Trumpeter kits, so check out reviews of the originals to get an idea of the quality (I think they're supposedly pretty good...).

I hope this helps

Rowan
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
I would venture a guess that they are re-boxed Trumpeter kits. I can't remember for sure if they did a 1/32 Corsair, but they did a couple F-105s for sure.

I would even bet that when you open the box....there will be a little piece of paper in there stating that the parts were molded by Trumpeter.

Most of Hobbycraft's modern armor is that way, and scores you a few $$$ cheaper than the name brand kit usually.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
Chuck, the F-105 from Hobbycraft is super kit. It is identical to the Trumpeter kit. Just like Trumpeters kits, the cockpit is weak and simple. I have the Hobbycraft one and will be gitting the Black Box cockpit and Eduards PE for it some day. Here is a in-box review I did,

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/750
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
A couple years ago Igot a Hobbycraft 1/32 DeHavilland Mossie that turned out to be a reboxed Revell issue.Great!Plus,they got rid of the bad injection canopy and subbed in a cool vac part.Great price too.
I'd say go for it!
cheers!
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:49 PM UTC
I did the Hobbycraft Avro Arrow a couple of years ago and never have I seen a kit fit so poorly. It took alot of extra work and putty to get things to fit well with no gaps.
I tell myself never again, but they are the only ones who build alot of Canadian aircraft, so........
On the bright side, it improves your skills in building things.
 _GOTOTOP