_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How you display your collection?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:45 AM UTC
I was wondering how people displayed or stored their aircraft collections,especially the people who build in 1/48.Some of you must have over 50 completed and that must take up a huge amount of space.
Personally Im building in 1/72 and Ive found that the plastic food containers from supemarkets are just the right size for a fighter with some contents of the paper shredder as a base.Keeps them from sliding around when moved and the boxes stack together.
When Ive completed a dozen or so I will be purchasing a display cabinet of some kind but until then its a handy way to keep them safe and dust free.
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC
The 2 Aircrafts that i created way back are currently displaying on shelves at the moment. Ones a B17 Flying Fortress and the other an F14D Tomcat.

If you run out of space, i found the next best way is to place screws into the wall and tie clear nylon strings round the planes front wheel and its wings. That way the plane is literally hanging on the wall and you see it from the planes top view. Guaranteed to free up floor space but still display its glory.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Nigel:

I display my finished kits in boxes that I make with acrylic and a wood base for the terrain, then place it in the bookshelf.
The cases are like this one (1/48):

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:26 AM UTC
Mine are displayed haphazardly on unsightly unfinished wooden shelves on brackets, a 40 year-old sheetmetal display shelf, and heavy duty plastic shelf and my mantel.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:31 AM UTC
Most often I end up giving my built kits away. They end up at a local AMVETS, VFW Post, Buffalo Navel Service Mens Park or to anyone who likes it. I even gave up kits to members here. I do have some that I kept for myself, some are on a shelf or hanging from the ceiling. To be honest I couldn't keep everyone I'v built, just not enough room.
 _GOTOTOP