_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What happened to MPC 'Profile Series'?
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:02 AM UTC
I remember way back in the 70's MPC had their 'Profile Series' 1:72 aircraft kits. Each kit was molded in stark white so you HAD to paint them and you got painting diagams and decals for three versions. You could buy anything from a single engine fighter to a B-29. I was still in Junior High then and I built lots of those kits with guey tube cement and sticky enamel paints. Still, it was a good introduction to model airplanes. While visiting my Grandmother one summer, I built a great MPC B-29, although it did have a gloss blue interior. She kept it on display for years.

I have since realized that model kits never really seem to disappear, just reappear under another manufacturer's name. Just for nostaliga purposes, I would like to build another MPC Profile Series kit, even if it is now under a different name. Are the old MPC kits still out there, and if so, under what label?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
While I do remember many Airfix kits being sold in the 1980s in MPC boxes, I don't think they were the same as the Profile Series. I do still have one Profile Series kit, the Hurricane Mk I.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:26 AM UTC
The profile series were repacked AIrfix kits with a wider range of decals, 3 to be exact. They were top notch when I returned to the Hobby. Revell was doing much the same with its 1/72 moldings. The next generation of MPC kits came with poor re-pops of the excellent Preiser figures or styrene versions of some of the Soft plastic Airfix figures. All of these show up at contests and shows pretty regularly.
 _GOTOTOP