_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Replacing framing on cockpit canopy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC
I would love to build my B-26 marauder for the bombs away campaign, it is rescribed and basically I just need to build it. I have a slight problem though which is preventing me from starting. The canopy had a blemish in it and after some soul searching I decided that I couldn't live with it and decided to sand it out. This went quite well and I was pleased to see that I had got rid of the blemish with the canopy frames now very faint but still visable, so I began to rescribe them. All was going well untill my scriber slipped and scratched the canopy. After sanding again I had lost most of the frame detail, so I sanded it all off and decided I would re-create the frames some other way.
Questions:
1. What is the best way to re-produce the canopy frames?
2. I have some pictures, but does anyone have any really clear pictures of a Marauder's canopy showing all framing detail?

I have thought of several ways in which to do it but I can think of reasons why they are not the best option.
Thanks, and have a beer on me for your contribution
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

i have read that some modellers have used strips of Frisk masking film cut into strips and painted for canopy framing. As it is clear it can be painted the interior colour followed by the exterior and then applied. As far as I've read they hold in place Ok.

Another option would be to get hold of a set of Fast Frames for another aircraft with a fair amount of canopy framing and cutting them to fit, I bet there would be enough material on the sheet to do the job.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Back in my Blueprint days, I used lytho tape to create canopy frames on masters, but clear tape would probably be better on a finished model.

Of course, the other common way to do it is with pre-painted decal cut into strips.

I think I've got plans and pictures for the Marauder, so I'll try to sort them out for you.

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hi Mal.
Does this help?

There are more line drawings and lots of good photos to be found at www.b26marauder.com
You can download large scale line drawings and the canopy detail is very clear.They are in the B26 gallery in the virtual museum section.Page 3 I think.
Nigel
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 06:36 AM UTC
Working link:
www.b26marauder.com

Nice site--- by the way!!....
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Mal:

May be Fast Frames (True Details) have something for the B-26.

Here is a link to the way they work:
http://www.squadron.com/old/finescale/finescale.htm
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

Over at J-Aircraft, Steve Hustad's gallery features several with which he sanded the canopies smooth, or vacuformed, then replaced the frames with electrical tape: The Steve Hustad Collection

You can probabaly find is address and e-mail him.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi Mal

Of course, the simplest thing of all would be to fit Squadron's B-26 canopy. The quality of these vacuformed canopies is stunning - they are crystal-clear and often more accurate than the kit items too.

I reviewed a batch some time ago - sadly, the B-26 wasn't among them, or I'd send it to you.

All the best

Rowan

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
Excellant stuff guys, I had plenty of ideas but these are all better than mine. You would hope that the manufacturer would replace a defective part but Revell UK wanted £3.50. If I'm gonna spend money on it I'll get a vacform canopy. Thanks Rowan, I didn't even think of a vacform, probably 'cos I had gone to the trouble of sanding the thing. Nigel, Dave, thanks for the info on the B-26 site, in all the searches I have done on the B-26 I've missed this. I'll take a look and give re-framing the canopy a go, thanks. Martin, I hadn't thought of frisk film, I would have thought it wasn't tacky enough, but I suppose a coat of Klear would help it stay put. Fast frames are tempting Carlos, thanks. Fred thanks, I do like the sound of the electrical tape, I will certainly be look that up.
Thanks alot guys, you have all been very helpful, I might even be getting some extra stuff for my B-26 now I have seen what is available at Squadron
Mal
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
Mal -

This won't help much with your present problem but I have a method that works nicely when you finally get sick of masking canopies(like I did).

I was working on a 1/32 Spitfire and didn't want to mask and all that so I made a plaster or paris cast of the inside of the canopy. Then I cut out all the clear areas of the kit canopy so that all I had was a frame.

Using a sheet of clear plastic, I gently heated it over an electric oven burner until it started to sag and draped it over the plaster mold. It took two or three tries but it worked. I then trimmed the excess clear plastic, thinned out the frame, painted the frame and spent a pleasant evening watching TV and carefully trimmiing and fitting the clear plastic "moulding" inside the painted frame. Worked perfectly.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:02 AM UTC
that is an interesting and crafty idea! what exactly was the clear plastic you used?
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:20 AM UTC
Phil -

I don't remember the brand name, or thickness, but it's a commonly available item in hobby stores and I know Squadron sells it in the form of a package of about 5 or 6 sheets that are about 4" x 6". I think it comes in various thicknesses. It's the same as used for vacuforming small things.

I just had the idea and did it with what I had laying around. The thinner the better but, if too thin, it will break open when draped(NOT STRETCHED) over the mould.

I simply pressed the kit canopy into a block of kids modelling clay. Poured plaster of Paris into it till it ran over, stuck a couple pieces of old sprue into it so I could pick it up, waited overnight so the plaster would get real hard and voila!

Oh, yes, spray the inside of the canopy (LIGHTLY) with anything that will prevent it sticking to the plaster. I used PAM cooking spray which might have been too thick.

It would, I think, work well for bubble type like, say a P-51D, P-47D, etc., but I'd have to think a little about using on something like a B-29.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Thanks Steve a great idea. I've often thought about trying tocut out the frames and re-glazing canopies but I had no idea it could be that easy.
I must give it a try.
Mal
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:42 AM UTC
Mal -

Do you, or any of the guys feel it would be worth putting together a picture report? I have a P-80 Shooting Star that needs to be assembled and, I think, I could get one of my boys to help with getting some pictures on the site.

You guys helped me a lot with my rigging phobia - I'd love to pass on something that would benefit others.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC
Steve we would love an article on your technique thanks for the offer.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP