_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Ordinance used in Bridges at "Toko-Ri"...?
Havoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 04:47 AM UTC
Heya Folks,

I'm getting ready to start in on an F9F-5 Panther. Being as "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" has always been a favorite film of mine, of course, I'll be building my kit as William Holden's aircraft.

My question is: does anyone know what sort of bombs and/or rockets the aircraft were carrying for the final mission (this includes the real life mission)...? The way in which the live action and effects miniatures were shot for the film, it's pretty hard to tell!

I'm an armor guy, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance!!

Thanks a bunch!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC
It's also one of my favorites. Assume your talking about the Monogram 1/48 F9F-5 kit. I would use the 2 x 1000lb and 6 x 100lb bombs supplied with the kit.

David
Havoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 05:24 AM UTC
Heya, David,

Agreed --- great film! I remember when I showed it to my girlfriend for the first time and the tape that I had recorded it on ran out about a minute before the big (and sad) finale. Man was she peeved (still married me, though and she finally got to see it all on DVD)!

Actually, my Christmas present was the 1/32nd scale Fisher Models & Patterns F9F-5 Panther...so this is gonna be a big sucker...

The book that comes with the Revell 48th scale kit has this aircraft illustrated on the cover --- looks like it is carrying 250 and 500 pound bombs...

Truthfully, the rockets DO look sexier on the pylons, but I do want to be somewhat accurate towards the film and the real life mission. The kit gives you both rockets and bombs to choose from...

This will probably be a VERY slow build as I have a two month old son (future modeler, I hope!) taking priority on all free-non work time (was also hoping to get my 32nd scale A-10 going, too --- ha!), but that's okay a he's a great little dude!!!

Thanks again, David!

JB

Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Havoc

I found a couple of articles about story behind the book.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3897/is_200410/ai_n9427824
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3897/is_200410/ai_n9427824

The articles state that the Banshees used 500lb semi armor piercing bombs to knock down the real bridge.

Let me know if you want any cockpit photos of the F9F

David
Havoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 07:34 AM UTC
Heya, David,

Thanks again for the info and the links!

Indeed, I would love any shots of the Pamther cockpit you might have --- I'll PM you with my e-mail.

You are a true gentleman and a stand up guy!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP