_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/32 AH-1 Cobra armament
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC
I know Cobra Company makes resin kits of the 7- shot XM-157 and 19-shot XM-200 rocket launchers, and the 20mm XM-35 cannon system, but what I would like to know is if anyone makes a 7- shot XM-158 rocket launcher for the Revell kit.

This is it pictured here on the outboard pylon of the Cobra:

Another option might be to try and use the rocket pods off of MRC/Academy's 1/35 UH-1C kits, but I wonder if that would adequate enough in terms of looks vs. scale?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hey Zack,
I myself has never seen a 1/32 7 shot XM-158 rocket launcher in any aftermarket form, but thats not to say there isn't either. Gino ( Heavyarty) may have an answer as well. As for the 1/35 launchers from the Huey kit, I'd say yes and go ahead and use them. The two scales are close enough that it won't show out of scale. You can always scratchbuild them out of Evergreen plastic tubing and strips. Also you can cut the launching from the Huey kit bracketes and add on the right length of Evergreen plastic tubing.
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
The 7- shot XM-157 is inculded in the most recent Revell AH-1G Kit as well as some other new parts. The quality of the new bits is better than the base kit. Will try to post a pic of the new sprue.

David

Edit Sorry got confused with one of my Huey kits. The Revell Cobra now comes with 7 shot rocket pods but not the XM-157.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The 7- shot XM-157 is inculded in the most recent Revell AH-1G Kit as well as some other new parts. The quality of the new bits is better than the base kit. Will try to post a pic of the new sprue.

David

Edit Sorry got confused with one of my Huey kits. The Revell Cobra now comes with 7 shot rocket pods but not the XM-157.

The kit does come with the the XM-157, the XM-158 is what I am looking for.

Mother, I thought about that as well because it looks as though the diameter of the warheads are the same but the length is too short on the 1/35 rockets.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:45 AM UTC
I would go with the XM-158s that come with the Academy UH-1C kits. Looks good enough for me. I just traded 2 sets away recently to an ex-pilot who is building two AH-1Gs with them. He is somewhat of an expert since he flew them, and he makes a certain OH-58D upgrade set.... hint, hint. If they are close enough for him, I would use them.
 _GOTOTOP