_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Finished P-40 for "SYT"
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:59 PM UTC
Hi guys, it's almost 3:00 a.m. here and I've just finished my "show your teeth" entry. This is Hasegawas P-40E. Took me just over 3 million hours to build, paint, and photogragh. The dull coat is literally not even dry yet. This is an OOB build with the exception of Ultracast seat and wheels. I've found a few things wrong with it but to be honest I'm done tinkering with this kit and at this point I'm considering giving it to my dog to play with.
Anyway, hope you all like it and feel free as always to pick it apart. :-)

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hope these show up this time.

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 03:04 PM UTC
you can't be serious about giving that to your dog! especially after staying up til 3am. thats a nice eye-catching model you have there, i joined this campaign yesterday (at time of this post) so watch this space and keep up the good work (but don't stay up till 3am too often!)
Hoss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hey VonCuda - Looks pretty darn good to me! I say, wresstle it back from your dog and put it up on the shelf....it's definately a keeper. There may be some flaws and I'm sure some of the more experienced modelers will have some advice on perhaps tweeking it a bit here and there, but honestly, it looks like you done good.

Hoss
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:38 PM UTC
A great job Herman, don't let the dog have it
Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 05:05 PM UTC
The dog does not deserve that beautifully built P 40, put it on the shelf and admire a job well done.
Andy (++)
EasyOff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 06:34 PM UTC
Put it on your shelf, walk away, then look at it again in a couple weeks. Your friends and relatives will love it. They won't know where the mistakes are. Don't be so hard on yourself... (laugh) I should talk.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC
Looks good Hermon. I like it. I built mine with the same scheme. I see that you got your seat color right. I painted mine interior green, I should have done better research. Good job, Wingman out.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
They say the worst critics are ourselves. To me it looks good. You should sit back and admire all that went well with it - It seems that a lot did . BTW, I think the cockpit looks great! A lot of various colors in there to show of the detail.
Leon
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Nice one VonCuda, great photos also...especially the close up nose shot, it shows off the great weathering job.It's a keeper!

N
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words everyone. While the pictures aren't bad....for an amature with a borrowed camera, it's good that you can't see this plane in real life. There were so many warped parts in this kit that at one point I considered throwing it away and building something else. As for picking it apart, I've found another thing I did wrong. Funny how the front tires got so dirty on that dirt runway but the back tire looks as it it's just been installed. :-)
This was my first attempt with acrylic paints and I'm really unhappy with my job. Should have practiced more first.
Anyways, thanks for looking
Hermon
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:48 PM UTC
Even after you mentioned warped and misfit parts I really cannot see them in the pics. You're right about the rear wheel but that's an easy fix
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
Alan, if you look at the rear of the fuselage the panel lines are nonexistant. This is because of all the filling and sanding I had to do. When the front and rear sections of the fuselage were first fitted together the 2 pieces were almost 1/2 inch off...I kid you not. I didn't take any "head on" pictures because the right tail fin is 1/4 inch lower than the left, no matter what I tried to do to fix it. Anyone with modest experience probably wouldn't have too much problems with this kit but for me it was a nightmare.

Hermon
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hey Von Cuda.
Sorry for a late reply as Ive been away for a few days.
Your P40 looks great! Cockpit details are lovely and a very nice weathering job.
I see you remembered a couple of coats of Future
Certainly worth while and a standard part of building for you now I expect.
I know you have said you had a lot of problems with this one,but just think of the experience you have gained and can use for future builds.Problems are only really problems the first time you come up against them,,after that they are just minor setbacks that are overcome by experience. ie not problems anymore!
You can really see the difference between this P40 and your Spit.,,as can I between the Me109 im working on and my first model after 20 years.
Enjoy the fact you overcame all the issues it presented you during the build and ended up with a fine finished model.
Congratulations on a fine build!!!
Dont let the dog anywhere near it!
josepedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 172 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hello VonCuda!
If you´re going to throw that on the trash, let me know were´s your garbage bin!!!!!!
Very beautiful work!!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hey guys, thanks for all the nice comments.

Nigel, you are right of course. My dad used to say that anything that didn't kill you was bound to make you stronger or smarter. I was so wrapped up in this project wanting to do a good job in recognition of my Uncle that I think I forgot to have fun. I'm still not happy about the way that it turned out as you said, I have gained lots of valuable knowledge from the experience.
One thing I did manage to do right was FINALLY figure out how to do antenna wires. :-)
Today was my birthday and the wife and kids surprised me with 3 more model planes and $50.00 worth of paint from the local hobby shop. So I'll have at least three more hunks of plastic to practice my skills on. :-)

Josepedro, I decided after all to put it on the shelf and just let the dog "look" at it instead of play with it. :-)
I'm glad you liked it.

Hermon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Today was my birthday and the wife and kids surprised me with 3 more model planes and $50.00 worth of paint from the local hobby shop. So I'll have at least three more hunks of plastic to practice my skills on. :-)

Hermon

Happy birthday, and what a great, supportive family! Hope you have fun with the new ones. I look forward to seeing them and hearing how they go.
Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
Bonjour Hermon!

Joyeux anniversaire!

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
..............................Jean-Luc, I don't speak perfect French but did you just call me an "ape face?" :-)

Just kidding
Hermon
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:53 AM UTC
Beautifull job,Hermon!! I especially enjoyed the weathering.....Strong Work all around!

You've done your Uncle proud..........

JK
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You've done your Uncle proud..........

JK

Thanks James. Ya know......I don't want to sound all mushy but that really means alot man. Especially coming from someone who built the same model but 10 times better than mine.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP