_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/32 pilots needed, any suggestions?
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hello all, back again with another question for my 1/32 Revell Cobra build. So I've been debating with myself for several days with the idea of having an Aircraft Commander(back-seater) and a Gunner(front-seater) for my Snake. The easiest thing to do would be not have any because the crew included in the kit is from the orginal release. As it is, this is for my dad(Cobra pilot) so I wanted to have a crew in it. A few days ago I came across a link on google that led me to a topic from the Fine Scale Modeler forum about the 1/32 Cobra. Unfortunatly it was over 3 years old but in it I saw that Jonathan Bernstein had used a Tamiya 1/32 F-4 pilot with a little modification for one of his AH-1s. This is the same Mr. Bernstein that wrote Osprey Publishing's "Cobra Units In Vietnam."

Im having trouble with figuring out a way of making the F-4 pilot work, maybe Im not using enough imagination? The problem lies with the head because the oxygen mask is on the pilot's face.

Not only can I not figure out that problem, but what if I can't use him at all? I cant find a single manufacture that produces helicopter pilots in 1/32 and a 1/35 defienatly will not work.

I know there are plenty of helo jocks here, you guys have any ideas?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC
I don't know of any 1/32 pilots out there, esp. as a separate kit. 1/35 pilots will work just fine. I have a few 1/32 Revell helos, including the Cobra, crewed by 1/35 pilots. Here is a thread on available 1/35 helo crews.

Good luck.
AlanL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hi Zach,

See Czech Masters, they do some 1/32 figures you might be able to adapt.

They also have a large range of 1/48 figures which I think they are also starting to reproduce in 1/32, so worth keeping an eye on. Sorry I don't have Czech Masters web address but you can view them on

www.netmerchants.co.uk

I don't know the quality as I'm not a model plane builder, I just noticed them when I was checking out latest additions, but they look good.

Hope this helps

Al

Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know of any 1/32 pilots out there, esp. as a separate kit. 1/35 pilots will work just fine. I have a few 1/32 Revell helos, including the Cobra, crewed by 1/35 pilots. Here is a thread on available 1/35 helo crews.

Good luck.

Well heres the biggest run in with doing that Gino. I have 4 sets of that DML heli crew, however, the pilots I need have to be depicted as wearing the nomex one piece flight suit because the cobra I am making is from 1981! So that makes it even tougher.

Thanks for the link McNeilly, I'll check those out.
AlanL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
Your welcome Patton.

Al
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well heres the biggest run in with doing that Gino. I have 4 sets of that DML heli crew, however, the pilots I need have to be depicted as wearing the nomex one piece flight suit because the cobra I am making is from 1981! So that makes it even tougher.

The Nemrod, CMK crews and the ones in the Academy OH-58D are in one-piece nomex flight suits. Check the thread for more details.
 _GOTOTOP