_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Metalizer paint brands...?
Havoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Heya, Folks,

As an "armor guy," I apologize in advance for my aero-ignorance!

I've got an F9F-5 Panther I am going to be building... "Bridges of Toko Ri, " of course, as I have always loved this movie. There are areas of bare metal on the wing roots, etc. First off, due to overspray I understand that it is wisest to paint the natural metal areas first, and then do the hull and wing color (dark, glossy sea blue or thereabouts --- does Tamiya have an equivilent color...? I have not seen one)...

I have used Model Master and Gunze Sangyo metalizers. Never have used Alclads --- does anyone favor one brand over another?

Also, I assume that the paint should be given quite a while to dry --- how long would you recommend before masking it (probably with Tamiya masking tape) to spray the blue and white areas. And can the metal areas be toned down or weathered in any sort of way...?

Also, I know that I cannot slop on the mud and wear and tear as I would a tank, but I do want my aircraft to look "used." How would you folks go about weathering such a (mostly) dark aircraft...?

Lastly, the aircraft is a resin kit. I figured that I would "prep" the resin with Mr. Surfacer 1000 or some similar resin prep. Or should I just prime the kit with gray or white paint...?

Sorry about all of the rookie questions!

Thanks! Much Appreciated from an Armor Guy looking to branch out!

And Much Aloha,

Johnny B.

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
A couple of thoughts.

Alclad II is simply amazing. Well worth a try. It gives a very nice metal finish and it dries almost instantly. Masking can be done within minutes.

To my knowledge, these jets were kept pretty clean and polished. I would go easy on the weathering.

Welcome to the skies!

Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
just watch out if you use the Model Master Metalizers as they don't stick as well as regular paint, and masking over it can pull it back up..

I've masked over metalizers in my last project after sealing with sealer and a couple of coats of Future with no problem...

Ford Trimotor

the gloss black on the plane is painted over Aluminum Metalizer after masking..

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC
I´ve used Model Master Metalizers with Metalizer Sealer and didn´t have problems with Tamiya masking tape.

The metalizers dry very quickly, but I waited the night over till next morning before applying the sealer. Then one or two hours before masking.
Havoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch for the input, guys!

Much appreciated!!! I will probably give the Alclad II paints a try...

Will definitely keep the weathering to a realistic minimum.

Looking forward to building something where I do not have to assemble an enless number of individual links!

Thanks again, my friends! Will post pictures (if I am not too embarassed) upon completion...

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP