_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Oil wash colour question
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi all.
Allow me to pick your brains again if you will
Im at the oil wash stage of finishing my Me109 and 2 questions for you,,
1.What would be a good colour to wash over yellow,,that is the nose and rudder areas.
2.For the topside grey splinter camouflage,,would a black wash be too dark,,if so what would be a good colour to bring out all the rivet detail on the wings?
Looking forward to your comments and advice
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:47 AM UTC
A good colour for a wash over yellow is dark brown. I use artist oil colour and Madder brown or Burnt Sienna would work well. For the under surface a browny grey such as Davey Grey works well and if you mix a little of this with the brown for the yellow and for the top colour wash it will help to pull it all together. It will also lighten the brown a little, which is cool. For the upper surface I would use a dark grey (never black), if you mix the grey from white and black then add a little brown and Davey Grey, Roberts your Dads Brother
If you are using enamels you will have to try and come up with similar colours. Artist oils give better flexability than enamels.
When using Artist oil paint use Turpentine as the thinner, not Turps supstitute. I used to use white soirit but pure turps is much better.
If you tell me what paints you plan on using I might be able to suggest colours to use. I never keep charts or such for washes, I just mix colours to go with the scheme.
Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks Mal.
I ended up using a Paynes Grey wash which complimented the base colour well on the underside and then used the "thicker" part of the wash for the topside and its bought out the detail nicely.
A very thin burnt umber seemed to work well on the yellow sections,just gave the area a "grubby" feel and blended it with the rest of the camouflage.
Just about finished now and photos should be up tomorrow
Cheers,
Nige
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hey Nigel

When I did the weathering wash on my P-40 I used water colours because I don't have enough experience yet to try oils. The water colours can be taken off right after application or in my case even days after.
Anyways, I used straight black. While it really helped to define the panel lines it also looked really out of place. I have since taken it off with a damp Q-tip or "cotton bud" as you would know them and replaced the black wash with a burnt sienna wash. It looks much more natural now. I left a bit of the black around the engine cowling for a "leaking oil" effect but I can say that for me, doing the entire plane in a black wash doesn't work.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP