_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
prep before metalizer?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:14 AM UTC
I've read quite a few opinions here on which brand and type of aluminum paint to go with but I have a question that I haven't seen any answers for yet.
I'm getting ready to do my very first aluminum paint job on a P-51 I started last week. I've bought Model Master Aluminum Metalizer and MM Sealer. I've also bought Tamiyas Titanium silver, and a bottle of Alclad as well. I plan on practicing with all these first before I do any real painting.
My questions are these:
1. With the Model Master Metalizer, is there any special prep that needs to be done to the model to insure good "sticking" ?
2. How about with the Alclad?
3. What does teh MM Metalizer and/or Alclad need to be thined with for airbrush use?
4. Since the Tamiya is acrylic would it be the same prep as another acrylic paint, as in cleaning the plastic with warm water?

I know you guys get tired of answering dumb questions but I really don't want to screw up this plane. Right now it's looking pretty darn good.

Thanks,
Hermon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hermon, don't worry about the questions. I imagine that most people enjoy getting to share the knowledge they have or they wouldn't be here.

I can only answer for alclad (haven't used the others), and others may have better answers, but for what it is worth...

With alclad you put a primer on - they have some, I know some use krylon gloss black (like available at homedepot), or future.

Alclad is pre-thinned and ready to go.

Here is a link to their site' directions.
http://www.alclad2.com/application.html

Hope it helps.
Leon
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hermon - With MM Metalizer there is "no need to use a primer". That being said, I have used primer over areas that have received alot of work (filling and sanding) to smooth out the surface, but for "color fastness" there is no need for primer, it covers very well and has a good bond to the model. Just make sure the model is VERY clean. Remeber everything shows with a NMF, even things you didn't see before painting .

As for Alclad, the primer color can affect the final color, so read the recommendations on their site. I've also used Alclad without primer, and it worked fine.

With both products you will see a little / slight color shift when you apply the "Sealer" or "Gloss Cote". By the way you don't have to use a special "sealer" Gloss Cote works fine.

There is not need to thin either product as they are pre-thinned for airbrush use, just make sure you mix them well and keep them mixed throughout the application.

Good Luck, look forward to seeing your results.

P.S. Invest in a pair of white cotton gloves, to use while handling your model.(finger prints)
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC
MM: as Chuck just said, no need to prime. Infac t, priming is discouraed by Teators when usign their metalizers as the grain of the primer will show through. Also no need to thin, it's already very thin. You may even want to back the pressure down on your compression a few pounds. Tis paint is really thin and you could find yourself using far more than you need if you're not careful.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
As others have said, there's no need to prime before MM Metalizer. What is required, though, is a very smooth surface. I recomend getting and using some polishing cloths. The more mirror-like the surface before the paint, the more metal-like it will be with the paint on.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
WOW! That's alot of good advice guys. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to "practice" some more tonight before I do any painting on the actual model.

Before I do get started let me ask one more question.
Would it be ok to clean the entire surface of my plane with some regular rubbing alcohol to get rid of the fingerprints etc? Or would this have any negative effect on the painting process?

Thanks in advance
Hermon
 _GOTOTOP