_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Nigerian MIG 17F
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC
This is Smer kit of a Mig 17F in Nigerian markings. The main coat of the plane was painted in Alclad 2 aluminium with duraluminium, jet exhaust and pale burnt metal added after. The decals are by Carpena.
The kit was built OOB and was a lot of fun, especially when i primed it with Revell black enamel and the Alclad then reacted with it and stripped the paint off itself :-) ( learnt that enamels and Alclad don't like each other the hard way). The kit had a few fit issues and its a bit of a tail sitter, as you need a lot of weight in the front but no where to put it .
I will definitely try an all metal painted plane again as although every flaw on the plastic has to be removed ( mine isn't) for the paint they are a worth while challenge.
Thanks for looking, Andy (++)

This is for the Siya Africa campaign, that i can't find a gallery for .
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Andy,

That looks great!

Sorry about the gallery... been caught with my shorts done on this one :-) I'll ask the relevant parties to sort it out

Thanks

Rudi
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 11:39 PM UTC
Nice MiG, but I expected to be getting an offer to make millions by allowing my account to be a repositiory of an unclaimed account.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Thatīs what I call an exotic plane #:-) I like Smer kits! They are real "dogs" but when you finish one and it looks good, like your Mig, you surely have learned something new during the build!

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:53 AM UTC
I like the lines and sweep of the wings on those old late 40's and early 50's jets. Your's is a beautiful example betheyn. Nice weathering as well. I'm not much on jets but seeing yours and the one CPT Kelly posted a few days ago kind of makes me want to try one pretty soon.
Thanks for sharing the Mig! Really nice job.

Hermon
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys. I learnt how to re scribe ( Olga cutter, how did i ever model without it), and how much prep work you need to do before painting an all natural metal finish. All in all an enjoyable build which i am fairly proud of.
I seem to have a thing now for early post war jets, as i have now started a Sabre.
Andy (++)
 _GOTOTOP