_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Show Your Teeth T-6 Texan finished...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hi all!

Here are pictures of Heller's (ex Ocidental) 1/48 T-6 Texan in French post WW2 markings. It is this kit wich gave me the idea for the "Teeth" campaign.
The kit is pretty easy to build but some details have to be added to have a decent representation of the real plane. I used mainly Tamiya Acrylics and Klear (Future) over Humbrol's Aluminium from their Metal Coat range. Weathering was done with pre-shading, pastels and paint shipping. The base was made of left-over resin. Sand was put on it with white glue and then painted and drybrushed. The grass is a mix of railroad grass also glued with white glue.

To sum up, here are the plus and the minus of the kit:

On the good side, you have a cheap but modern kit with engraved panel lines and nice surface detail. The cockpit is well done and look good out of the box. The parts fit nicely together and only few putty was needed. The engine is also well done and easely put in place.

On the bad side you have the seats wich must be sanded as they are too thick. The two air scopes on the engine are badly done and will need additional work. The decals look good but are very brittle. Be carefull with them! It was a real pain to put the pieces of the sharkmouth together The last part of the canopy (rear) must be sanded down about 1mm or it will not fit. The rocket launchers are wrong. Only spaghettis could have been fired through the one provided in the kit! The aerial masts of the underside have been forgotten.

In all it was a nice build and I'm pleased to have a yellow plane in my collection now! It really stands out from the other green/brown/grey models!

Jean-Luc

P.S. My DSL modem is still not working. I used my PC at work for this message. I wish I could post more in the forums... at least you do not have to support my chattering
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:47 PM UTC
Very nice Jean- Luc. I like how you have done the faded yellow, was that done with the pastels or the airbrush. A nice simple base really sets the whole thing off.
I can see a future MOM entry with this.
Andy (++)
P.S I have started my Mustang for the campaign ( as everyone seems to have built theres already ) but I'm still at a lose about how to do the decals .
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi Jean Luc.
Thats a very VERY nice job youve done there.Excuse me while I turn green with envy.
I really like the way the finish seems to have such depth to it.
A couple of questions.
Is the rudder a decal or is it painted on?
How did you get the finish on the exhaust?
How did you get the overall faded look?
Looking forward to you getting back online properly!
Congratulations on a job well done.
Excuse me while I go off and practice some more
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Fantastic work, very subtle weathering, very clean build!........ Inspiring work.....

Frank
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC
Looks like another winner Jean-Luc. I am always amazed at your artistic ability! I also love the fading!
Leon
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC
Jean-Luc, another excellent model....
Do I have to hint for you to submit it for an ON DISPLAY, or ARTICLE, of have you got the hang of this yet??????? :-) :-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

That's a real stunner - the faded yellow and overall weathering are beautiful. The base is really effective too.

I do have one serious criticism though... you build your models far too quickly and make it look too easy!

Superb! All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc

P.S. My DSL modem is still not working. I used my PC at work for this message. I wish I could post more in the forums... at least you do not have to support my chattering

Quoted Text

I do have one serious criticism though... you build your models far too quickly and make it look too easy!

Superb! All the best

Rowan

Does anyone else see the connection??

bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc, beautifull Texan...I love how you always choose uncommen subject matter...great ground work also!...N
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
Love it Jean-Luc, everything about it just looks great.

Quoted Text

Yep slow down a bit and make at least a couple of cock ups will ya I've only just started my SYT entry.
Mal
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
Thats looks a lot nicer than my 1/49 monogram verison which is as bright yellow as a flashing caution light, I must have used the wrong yellow.
Diablo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
that looks great,didn' know you where that good.i am proud to have you as a campaign leader Mal,, did you reed your reply back :-) or is that some whingy-slang

greetings jeroen,.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi all!

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Andy, the model was first pre-shaded with brown, then I sprayed a coat of orange/yellow and finally some light yellow here and there. I also mixed the orange/yellow with Klear (Future) and sprayed several coats of this translucent medium on the kit. Final weathering was done with brown, grey and black pastels...
Nigel, the rudder colours are painted. White first, then the two other colors. Experimenting the "quality" of the kits decals, I didn´t even tried to use the ones provided for the rudder! For the exhaust, I used a nice technique learned from Armor modelers. I painted it with dark aluminium and before the paint dried, I put red/brown pastel powder on it. Result = burnt metal effect! The external exhaust stain was made with black/brown pastels powder like the overall final weathering.
Frank, Newtothegame and Dave... Thanks! Unfortunately I didn´t took pics while I was building this model, apart from the ones I posted in the official Campaign thread... sorry, no feature for this one!
Rowan, Nigel (funny second post :-) )and Mal, I try to build one model per month... so I´m on schedule
Nigel (bottlerocket), Johnny and Jeroen I´m happy you like it! About choosing uncommon subjects, well... I just found out I simply try to build all the models I once made in my younger years... and that was quite a lot

I must also say something about Heller´s customer service. The engine part of the kit was missing in my box! I sent a request for a replacement part on their official website and also sent a formular per post just in case. I received two replacement parts for free within 10 days! Thank you very much Heller!

See you in the "Show Your Teeth" Official Thread!

Jean-Luc

PS Mal, could you translate your message... you know I´m French! :-)
Panzercmdr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:29 AM UTC
Jean,
Your plane looks fantastic
MonkeyGun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Im an out and out treadhead but i looked at your post and have to say that is an amazing looking aircraft , fantastic work

Ian
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 04:44 AM UTC
I don't think it's fair for an art teacher to also build model airplanes!
Perhaps in 20 years Jean-Luc, I will have enough experience to be able to point out "something" you've done wrong but right now I can't spot anything. That is a beautiful plane and a nicely done job of building and painting it. The Texan is not exactly a "graceful" looking airplane but you have managed to bring it to life here and add beauty to it. Don't know if I could add anything else to that. It truely is a beautiful build. Congradulations!

One question Jean-Luc. How do you make those little things on you antenna wires? The little things that look like connectors or tension springs or something. Little details like that are what put the smile on my face.

Thanks for sharing this one.
Hermon
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 08:11 AM UTC
WOW, Beautiful work, Jean-Luc!!! That's one Helluva trainer!!

JK
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC
jeroen

Quoted Text

Mal,, did you reed your reply back or is that some whingy-slang

Yes I did read my reply and it is correct English. (See my next reply)

Jean-Luc

Quoted Text

PS Mal, could you translate your message... you know I´m French!

:-) Yep slow down a bit and make at least a couple of cock ups will ya
Yes do slow down a little and try and make at least 1 or 2 mistakes will you (I don't actually see a difference? Well it is correct English where I come from, you should hear the Jordies:-X :-) )
Mal
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:06 PM UTC
Jean-Luc

that is a great looking a/c (and vicious too). Did it see combat (I mean the real thing) Algeria, Vietnam or other?

Forgive my curiosity, I am mostly interested in the story behind an airplane ....

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hi all!

Panzercmdr, Ian, Hermon, James and Steffen, thanks! The insulators on the aerial wires are made with white glue and then painted dark aluminium. James, this Texan is not a trainer but as Steffen guessed, a combat plane. It was used during the Algerian Independance war (even if it not considered as such in France, but it was) in a ground attack role. The T-6 was fitted with gun pods, rocket launchers and bombs...
Mal, thanks for the translation! I learnt more English in the past month than in years at school :-) And yes there are cock ups on the model. It´s just that I hide them under the weathering
I think my next model will be a "clean" one!

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
What can I say? A beautiful build, Jean-Luc!

But why do you "always" have to pick the same subjects as I do - and build them much better than I can!? First the Goose (which I am going to finish soon, since I finally found some skiis for it), then the Storch and now the Texan... What's next? I'm sure not going to tell what I have planned! Good thing that you keep building the French versions and I the Swedish, but there are just too many aircraft that has been used by both countries.

Anyhow, congrats on yet another masterpiece!

Cheers

Ps. I was planning a Dornier Do 24 (Swedish deisgnation Tp24), but then I saw this. And since FM is releasing it in 1/48...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi Björn!

I´m already waiting for that 1/48 Do 24 from FM... but I promise you to built it in German markings! :-) I can´t wait to see your Orange Goose! When do you think will it be finished?

Jean-Luc
Gloss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

A beautifully balanced model of a very interesting subject.

The painting a weathering have brought out the details perfectly. You must be really pleased with it.

Regards

Mark
RedSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,
just one word - Class. Absolutey top class. OK four words...

Right, where's my hammer? I'm gonna scrap my models

Keep it up mate, you are an inspiration.

Steve
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

First I have to finish my Saab Draken (gave it a first coat of paint five minutes ago), but then I'll pick up the Goose again. You've inspired me to make a diorama! Unfortunately, it's really hard to find nice figures suitable for airfield diorama - especially in a winter landscape - in 1/72. All hints are welcome!

Ps. You're going to make your Dornier German? When there are so many options?

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP