_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
#1 BFTS Terrell Texas research
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi all.
Im collecting information together for an upcoming project.Kit on order.
Im looking to build a NA Harvard/Texan as flown from #1 BFTS in Terrell Texas and want to finish it in either the plane that my father did his first solo in or the one he took his wings test in.
Private detective work involves sneaking his log book away for a few days to find out the date and aircraft involved.This will give the serial number but Im looking for photos of squadron markings and general finish.
He was in class 24 which was 1942/1943,not sure of the exact dates until I get a look in his log book.
What would be the chance of a colour photo from Terrell???
I know there is a #1 BFTS museum in Terrell and have written to them looking for info as well.
If anyone has any links or photos they could post on here I will be very greatfull.
Looking ahead,when I find out the exact markings,can anyone suggest where I can get some decals made?
Many thanks
Nigel
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi all.
Heres where Im at with my research.
The best 2 photos Ive found sofar are these.

I think the 2nd photo is KA P?
If so,,this would be one of the Harvards flown by my father.
The plane I would like to depict is either KBQ or KC.Some of the AT6's only had 2 letters on the side.What would this mean?
Questions are,
Is there anyway,,apart from blind luck in finding a photo,that I could find out the serial numbers of KBQ and KC?
The aircraft looks like a natural metal finish with the top cowling in black.Would the code letters be black also and what colour would the stripe be just in front of the rudder?
What would the underside markings be?
What would be the best way of getting some decals made for this aircraft?
Hope someone can help on this
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:49 AM UTC

bump

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
If anyone can get these photos to post on here I would appreciate it.
Thanks guys
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:24 AM UTC
I found a couple of pictures that I thought might help Nigel but after looking in your gallery I saw that they are the exact same pic's you already had. Sorry.

One thought. If you could get your fathers serial number......Britt soldiers had them didn't they?......perhaps you could use that to help trace things back.

I've been trying for 2 weeks now to trace my Uncles plane that he flew in the navy so I could build it for the Carriers campaign and I've hit a brick wall with that as well.
 _GOTOTOP