_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
KANGNAM or IMEX 1/35 Apache
sopmod6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
Are both these kits one in the same or completely different?
Any links to a review or first hand build knowledge is helpful.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Yes they are.

I have the Kangnam kit and have done an in-box review on it. It isn't the most accurate kit of an Apache, but it does have the Apache feeling about it.

Here is the link to the review with comments

Hope that helps!! I plan on doing a build-up article on it, but that is a while down the road.

Cheers!!
sopmod6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the help. I recently got several etch sets, but plan to build just two in the near future. I'm off to the Hobby shop!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC
Kangnam and Imex are the same kits. Imex is/was their US importer. As I wrote in the comments to the review, they are not that accurate and fit is an issue. The D model is pretty much a fictitious work of the company, not accurate at all. They took their mediocre A model and added incorrectly shaped sponsons and a radar mast and called it a D.

The Revell 1/32 model is a pretty good early A version and fits together great. I recommend it over the Kangnam/Imex models.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:29 AM UTC
Which etch sets do you have. I never thought to look, that there might be PE available...
sopmod6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC
My girly friend bought 9 sets enough to build two A's and a D, which is my plan (one of each). I 've got enough references, and as much as I like to scratchbuild, having to do the sponsoons over and taking care of the other details
is a bit too much. I've got enough M1's and Humvees to do already.
I will definitely look into the Revell kit tomorrow. It may be easier to use those sets on it than do a complete overhaul on the Kan/Imex kit.
Thanks guys!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
I second to what Gino says, the Revell kit is the best out there. Though it’s an A’ model, with some scratch building and putty you can come up with a decent D’. Verlinden has a nice resin and photo etch set out, No.# 2198 and Eduard has a photo etch exterior set, No.# 32 098.

The Revell Apache can be found most times on ebay at a decent price. I once bought three at $7.00 each.

Here is a look at the Verlinden kit, and as soon as I can get off my lazy butt, I'll submit the Eduard set that was finished just after Christmas.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1122

Eduard web page, just type in Apache and hit go

http://www.eduard.cz/
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
If you want to make the Revell A into a D model, post over at FSM Helo forum. Guy who goes by the handle "Cobrahistorian" (Jon Bernstein) has converted 1, maybe 2 Revell A's into D's. He also happens to be an Army 2nd Lieutenant and currently in Apache flight school, lots of referances. He has also published a couple books on AH-1 Cobras, hence his handle. Great guy too.
sopmod6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
I picked up his Ospey book on AH64's last night, and it's good reference. I'm ordering the Revell kit today as nobody has it around here anymore.
Anything I can't use on these sets is goona serve as templates for the project.

And I thought this was gonna be a doozer...
THANKS GUYS.
sopmod6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
I received the Revell kit yesterday, and it 's pretty nice as stated. After analyzing the parts, I compared it to the Eduard P-etch set for the Kangnam kit , and surprisingly, the parts breakdown is about the same.
As strange as it may sound, it seems like the Imex / Kangman kit is just a scaled down copywith liberties.

I've determined that about 90% of the all the etch sets for the 1/35 version will work on the 1/32 seeing as the size differential is pretty nil.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. Your a great help. Gino, the resin stuffs in the mail this morning.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, the resin stuffs in the mail this morning.

Great, thanks. Good luck with the Apache.
 _GOTOTOP