Stuka Tank Buster
KellyZak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC
Morning everyone,
Well this is my first aircraft kit done in 20 years (last did one when I was 12 :-) )
The kit is from Academy, 1/72 scale. It was a pretty fun build, had to remember not to build it like when I do a car or a afv, seems like kind of a mixture of both. Now you'll notice the canopy...well things were going ok until then. It looked good until I fit it to the plane body, and well this was after everything was decaled and weathered, and flatcoated. The canopy did not like sitting where it was, there was a nice gap all the way round, and not having much experience in aircraft building, took my Zap A Gap thick glue and filled in the gaps. But it did not craze or fog it up. But when dried, of course the glue was glossy, so what did I do? Yup, sprayed on another coat of flat without realising that I shoulda masked off the canopy Well what you see is the end result, whoops....I think it'll be another 20 years before I try again...
Kelly

Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 20:01:57 (GMT).
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
Kind of makes one wonder what the pilot and gunner were doing in there to fog the windows up like that. :-)

For your first plane in 20 years it looks remarkable. Heck of a lot better than my 1st attempt in twenty years turned out. The only shame will be if you really do wait 20 more years to do another.

Nice job Kelly
Hermon
KellyZak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Thanks guys, for the comments, my thoughts exactly as to what could be going on to fog up the canopy! LOL
It may not be 20 years before I do another plane, who knows, I'll probably see a kit at a swap & shop and pick one up...kinda got the itch to to a Spitfire...
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
Does matt varnish damage clear plastic????
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
All things considered it ain't that bad at all and you have learnt by you small error. Don't wait another 20 years to build another aircraft, I'm sure if you build one soon it will be great
Mal
KellyZak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
I don't think the flat will hurt the clear plastic, I used Model Master Flat Lacquer Dullcoat spray, and it seemed to work ok, I think once I get some time, I may revisit the plane and take a qtip dipped in non acetone nail polish remover and try to remove the dullcote.
Oh, I'm definately gonna do another plane, and it won't be another long stretch in between! :-)
Gloss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
To tell you the truth, I didn't notice the canopy when I first looked at the pictures as I was concentrating on the overall look rather than on specific area's.

I like your model as it is and would be pleased if I could do that well.

Regards

Mark
KellyZak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thanks Gloss!
Forgot to mention to everyone, the base was made by staining the wood, then masking off the cross, then sprayed with white primer, then remasked, and black sprayed to finish the cross off. Took the decal from the kit's decal sheet and applied it, then put two coats of semi-gloss Varathane to complete.
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 04:38 AM UTC
I like the base too...
Spades
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:19 AM UTC
Like the base. Good job on the plane also.
Spades
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:19 AM UTC
Like the base. Good job on the plane also.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
Very nice.
Lovely camoflage and a very nice overall finish.
Im sure that with all the infomative posts on here that the matt on the canopy can be removed with care.Maybe polishing with toothpaste will do it but I guess it would take a while.
Like the base too,a very nice finishing touch.
Interesting that after all your armour builds that the first plane you do is a tankbuster!
Go get yourself a Spitfire!!!
KellyZak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC
:-) haha Nigle, thanks! Well it's funny it's a tankbuster, but I've always liked Stukas, just that eerie screeching sound they make....next plane I'll do is going to be a Spitfire, gotta have something to compliment my Stuka...Got the idea for the base by actually looking at the decal sheet, I really didn't want my plane to just sit on a wood base, so I looked at the crosses on the sheet, and said to myself, hmm, that may work!
 _GOTOTOP