_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
B-49 whud if
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 12:48 PM UTC
I have downloaded a B-49 and sim fly it on FS 2002.It is painted in the Airforce blue of late war,post war.I also am planning on building my 1/72 nd scale model of the same.I wonder, IF the B-49 had been ordered into production,would the dark blue be a reasoanble color scheme? How about the later cold war natural metal over anti flash white?
Or going to the extreme,What if,the B-49 through improvements survived into the Viet Nam era? Could there be a jungle camo scheme??????
The mind boggles.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:36 PM UTC
Yes, Yes, and Yes. It is safe to assume that if the aircraft had been put into full production and survived through the Vietnam period, it would have worn all of these paint schemes.
Holocaust59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC
Another possibility if you are building a hypothetical model, is to paint it up as a formation aircraft for forming up B52s. They used to do that with war-weary B24s, which were painted in some pretty far out colourful schemes, and use them to assist flights of bombers in forming up.
One other suggestion, if you get hold of the original (presumably G-Max) file of your FS2002 B--49 or maybe just the textures, you could do a re-paint of your simulator plane to try out a few schemes and see which you prefer.
Photoshop or Paintshop are both okay for doing this although Photoshop is a better choice. You could then use your own artwork from your sim to print out decals onto clear decal sheet for your 1/72nd scale version.
I quite often make 3D models for FS2002, it's not as hard as it sounds, particularly if you are into modelling, and there are good tutorial files for G-Max included with the programme. Which, incidentally, is free with the Pro version of FS2002, in case you weren't aware.
Happy landings!
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 12:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies.I am seriously thinking of using the Blue.It would seem like not too much of a stretch.I would like to see after market jetpods that were seen hung below the wings on the RB-49.A Google image search was quite enlightening.My LHS has 1 or 2 more kits,so ,if my first come out well,i may try the other schemes.
After my father's B-24 was declared War Weary,It was used to take ingredients to altitude,and make ice cream.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the Airforce blue of late war,post war.

I just found this site you'll enjoy if you havn't seen it:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/rms_tips/b49alt.hist.html

Could you direct me to some references to the Air Force Blue scheme you mentioned? I always thought the schemes went from OD/gray to natural metal to SAC Flash white undersides (nuke force and some transports) to Viet jungle over gray to various lizard wraps to gunship gray.
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:10 PM UTC
Al,thanks for the link very tongue in cheek.Hmmm,I wonder if a development of the B-49 would include "cheek" mounted 203mm gatling howitzers.I may have jumped the gun on AF blue.I only thought it was possible in the first year of US AIR FORCE after the sep from Army Air Corps.I now think the NM over white would be logical.
Though,there is a hope for a whud if B-49 with NM over black for deep penetration raids during the korean conflict...
Nice work at Baycon,BTW.
 _GOTOTOP