_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Biplane Rigging
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 03:26 PM UTC
My first post disappeared somewhere - I'll try again.

Does anybody have a good technique for rigging wires? I have tried in the past to install wires but have never done it very well.

Right now, I'm looking at a 1/48 Supermarine Stranraer and I'm intimidated. Surely there must be a clean way to rig the wires cause I seem to be the only guy asking for advice on the subject. Maybe some of you guys could point me to a website, a book, anything!

Thanks in advance.
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
First, look at the features part of this site. Other sites also have articles on WW1 aircraft builds. Hyper-scale is one. Another way is to read the build reviews on this site and others for info. I use 'invisible' thread myself as I tend to kink wire.
capnjock
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
Mmmmm, I've looked for your other thread and can't find it? Very odd, you are showing 2 posts, at the moment, so it must be in the system somewhere. It would be a pity to lose it as there was some good info contained in that thread.
I'm sure you put it under "Tips & Techniques", can you just confirm that that was the case, and was the title the same as this one?
Mal
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
Yup, there are some reviews and articals around here somewhere because I remember reading them. If you want to see a beautiful job of rigging check out the pictures in the January Model of the Month thread. Almonkey finished a DH.2 that looks like a spider on Prozac did a jig between the wings. :-) It's an awsome little plane.

The only real tips I can give are to get yourself a tiny drill bit kit and some invisible thread or flyfishing line like I use. Dremel makes a drill bit set with small bits and thats what I have. Other than that just read some of the articals on this site and spend a little time practicing on some old sprue trees until you feel comfortable enough to start rigging your plane.

Hermon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
Found it I don't know why it isn't showing in the forum but I found it through the "Latest Posts".
Try this link Help with Bi-Plane rigging
Mal
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
capnjack, Holdfast, VonCuda, Thank You. I found my first post, thanks to VonCuda and the response is well...overwhelming.

I checked out Hyper-scale and found several articles that are more than helpful. I havn't had a chance to check out everything yet but I am certainly a lot more confident and positive about this than I was.

I am still unable to find my original post except thru the link provided by VonCuda below. I will get on that thread and thank all those guys too.

"I wish to thank the Academy...." oops, wrong forum.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hi guys:

All this valuable info will help me with my first biplane kit.
I bought a Tamiya Swordfish with Floats that I´m planning to build this year after a couple of Tamiya Moosies in 1/72 and one in 1/48. It will be my first rigging job because I will not use all the Tamiya PE set for this kit, just part of it.
I also read a post on Hyperscale that talk about using steel guitar strings of the E note (0.08) but with a different thecnique.
Thanks to all who helped with this info.
 _GOTOTOP