Kit suggestion needed
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hey guys,
I'm mostly an armor modeler and have recently built up Tamiya's P-47 razorback which I enjoyed very much. I've been eyeballing the 1/32 Bf109 and Fw190 kits from Hasegawa and would like suggestions for which one is good for a non-expert aircraft builder. I'll be doing it out of the box. Thanks.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hey Grifter,
I don't really know about the fit and finish of the 1/32 scale kits since I only do 1/48. However, basically every kit I've done since getting back into modeling has been a Hasegawa. I find that the Tamiya kits I've done have less fit problems but also less detail. The Tamiya kits to me seem to better suited for "non-professionals" like myself. Having said that, It would be hard to beat a Hasegawa kit if you want to improve your skills and have a beautiful aircraft when you're done.
As for the two kits you're looking at, I'm not sure that there is much difference in skills required. Both have beautiful and somewhat complicated paint schemes. The camo patterns on both are the main reason I myself have decided to wait on building them until I get better with my AB. That being said, if you've been building any kind of models and using an airbrush for a while you shouldn't have any trouble with either the 109 or the 190 as far as camo.
There are lots of folks in the aircraft section who know more about this than me. You may want to send a PM to JPTRR as I know he likes to build some 1/32 kits and he is pretty thorough in his explainations.

Hope this helped a little
Hermon
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Greg:

I donīt know the Hasegawa Bf 109 and FW 190 in 1/32, but yes a know the same brand Spitfire Mk Vb because I built it. Itīs a great kit, gral fit is very good and the interior of the cockpit is great. It has engraved panel lines in the wings but raised in the fuselage.
Here is a pic of it:

Also a nice kit in 1/32 is the new Revell Mk I. This kit is a mix of Hasegawa and Revell kits in this scale. I saw the kit and it looks very good. The panel lines are the same as in the Hasegawa Mk Vb in 1/32.

If you want to build a Bf 109 E3 or E4/7 or a FW 190 A3 or A8, try the Tamiya kits in 1/48. They are fantastic kits, very well detailed with great fit and easy to build.
Also you can choice the Tamiya Spitfires Mk I or Mk Vb, these are real shake and bake and for me are the best Spit kits in the market of 1/48.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi Greg,
You can buy either kit with confidence, they are both great. I have the Fw190D-9, plus the MDC cockpit which is also great. Both these kits are also boxed by Revell and are much cheaper in that form
Mal
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 01:42 AM UTC
I can certainly back up what holdfast said regarding the hasegawa 109 with personal opinion - outstanding kit with no headaches! excellent OOB build. the Fw 190 I haven't seen or tinkered with personally, but i am sure it is high quality as well.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi all.
Are many of the Revell kits repacked Hasegawa?
Specifically WW2 1/72 if any?
Nige
 _GOTOTOP