_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Yak-1 winter paint scheme
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hey guys.
I'm starting a new project today. It is an Accurate Miniatures Yak-1 with skis. According to the directions and other reference material I've been able to find, this plane left the factory with the standard camo scheme of black and dark green. In the winter it was coated in a casein based white paint applied with mops, rags, brushes or anything else that was on hand. There is significant wear and "bleed through" on the pictures I've found and that is what I want to replicate.
My question is what is the best way to achieve this? Should I paint on the black and green camo and then spray the white over top or should I paint the Yak white and then rub in some patches of green and black.........sort of like a wash?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Hermon
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Paint your base camo first and paint the "white wash". Paint the White in some areas thin where it wears off (like the wing root, spinner, wing leading edges..)
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
David is right, nothing more to add. Go slowly with the white paint. Take your time and check the way it´s looking. Good luck
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Hermon:

Here you have some pics of a Bf 109 in a winter camo. You can see the effect of the base camo paint showing through the white wash.

This is the how the modeller (Ian Robertson - posted in Hypersacale) explains the way he did it:

"The model was painted in a standard scheme of RLM74/75 over 76 using Polly Scale acrylics. Prior to the application of the base camouflage, the lower cowl and wingtips were painted yellow and masked until all other painting was complete.
A number of steps were followed to create the winter distemper effect. First, I used a 3mm wide flat-edged brush to apply white Polly Scale acrylic straight from the bottle to the areas I wanted covered in distemper. I made no effort to apply the paint evenly, and I kept the coverage thin over the model’s surface.
Once the paint dried I sanded it with a micromesh sanding cloth to remove any unwanted thickness. Next, I applied white Tamiya acrylic (with a touch of black) over the areas that were roughed-in with the brush, making sure to leave a hint of the uneven coverage produced by the brush. I found that the Tamiya white covered better in this role than Polly Scale white.
On the fuselage sides I sprayed patches of RLM80, particularly in the region of the Balkenkreuz and on the cowl.
To remove the clean and fresh look of the white distemper, I sprayed a highly thinned mixture of black and burnt umber paint over the model's surfaces, both upper and lower. Once the paint was dry, I used medium and fine grain sandpaper to scuff the distemper and in some places expose the camouflage beneath. Additional washes of raw sienna mixed with burnt umber (Model Master enamels) were applied with a soft brush.
A clear coat of Future was applied prior to the addition of decals. Once the decals were dry I added a clear dull coat mixed from equal amounts of Polly Scale clear flat and clear satin. Some weathering of the decals was done so that they conformed to the general appearance of the aircraft."

Hope this help
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
Thanks guys!
I'm about a week away from begining the paint job on my Yak. I'll spend some time practicing on an old junk model with this technique and when I'm confident I'll start the process on the real thing.
Hopefully I'll have some pics to post by next weekend.

Thanks again,
Hermon
 _GOTOTOP