_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Panel lines and NMF
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to best accomplish a mild enhancement of the panel lines on surfaces painted with Alclad II (wash or otherwise)? I've used a sharpened led pencil on the light grey lower surfaces on my J 35J Draken (see below) in order to get a very suttle panel line effekt, but I can't use this on the hardened Alclad surface.

Cheers!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:24 AM UTC
If you want to stick to the pencil method, you might try a softer grade lead HB or F . As for washes others here are better at that than I.
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
You could try using artist oils mixed with thinner and apply only after a layer of gloss coat. there are a variety of cleaners to clean up the excess. I know i do it for armor all the time and dont see why it cant be applied to planes as well.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hey PolarBear,
On my P-51 with metal finish, I went back and applied a wash of water color paints. I thinned it way down and applied it very thin. I used water colors because
1. I new that the water colors wouldn't effect the paint, as this was the first metal finish I'd ever done.
2. With water colors there is no mess if you make a mistake (like I usually do).

You say you are looking for a very subtle effect. That is what I was trying to achieve also. Having built the model, I can tell the panel lines have been accentuated (spelling) but anyone else would probably never notice this since it is very subtle.
This probably isn't the ideal method but it worked pretty well for me.

Hope this helped a little
Hermon
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi Polarbear,

What scale/kit, Hasegawa 1/72? Good looking model, I need one! I plan to do the Viggen in splinter camo ASAP.

This is my 1/100 Tamiya and I did the panels with water-oil wash and smear.

More pix: Fred's Draken
 _GOTOTOP