Modern aircraft of the United States.
Revell B-36 Peacekeeper
GIB_temp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 09:27 PM UTC
Has anyone built this gargantuan kit? The box looks mighty impressive size-wise!
Holocaust59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC
No one has ever successfully managed to get it down from the shelf in their local model shop without being crushed to death. Hence, it has never actually been built by anyone LOL!

GIB_temp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No one has ever successfully managed to get it down from the shelf in their local model shop without being crushed to death. Hence, it has never actually been built by anyone LOL!

LOL!

No wonder there's a slight reddish-brown dried stain on the model shop's floor. :-)
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
I have !!! It is HUGE!!!!!!!!!
It is a nice kit. It went together pretty nicely, only a couple of seem problems on the fusalage. I had to rescribe a few panel lines, nothing major in my view. The interior is Ok, the seats seem a bit out of scale. I didn't do anything about it because I knew going in mine was going to be hanging and it would be tough to see in the canopy. Also, once you get the frame painted on the canopy (which went well, nice frame lines to guide you) your view inside is limited so the seats were no big deal to me.
The decals were good, no problems there.
You do seriously need to consider the work space you have and plan ahead so you don't get into an awkward space issue with the wing span on the 'beast'
I received mine as a gift so I can't address the money worthyness of it.
If you want to build the B-36 it's a good kit.
GIBeregovoy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
Oops, the name of the B-36 is Peacemaker, not Peacekeeper. #:-) On a somewhat related note, is there a 1/48 B-52 model and if there is who makes it?

Slodder, you got it as a gift? Damn lucky! :-) Could you perhaps have some pics of the monster posted here? I'm not much of an airplane builder nowadays (ever since having been converted to armor), but I guess if there's one plane model that I'd build, it'd be the B-36. Problem is, I dunno where to put it after it's done! :-)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC
GIB, No, on the 1/48th B-52. Largest scale BUFF out there is 1/72 scale (still has almost 36" wingspan). Fine Scale Modeler did a complete rundown and compaison of B-52 kits in their DEC 02 issue. Here is a link to their current issue page: Fine Scale Modeler, DEC 02 The article is really great and gives a complete rundown of all B-52 kits available and the pros and cons of each along with a complete history of the B-52 and all its variants over the years. Also, if you search the back issues, a few years ago, there was a story of Lewis Pruneau's 1/32 scale B-52, it was huge. Check here: 1/32 B-52
GIBeregovoy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:22 PM UTC
EGAD! 1/32 BUFF! Goodness gracious.... (puts hand in chest, bracing for a heart attack )
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:10 AM UTC
A few weeks ago someone started a thread on large scale aircraft, meaning big aircraft in a scale bigger than 1/144. I'd love to be able to do the stuff, but where to put it once it's done? As a kid, I did have the Monogram B-29 Enola Gay and B-24 hanging from my ceiling. Even my oldest son had the old fantasy B-2 Stealth bomber hanging from his ceiling when he was younger.

Man, I love to be able to do that stuff. I always coveted the B-36. It was so cool and the "largest scale aircraft kit" wordings on the box really sold me on it.
mopareg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 10:36 PM UTC
http://www.sangereng.fsnet.co.uk/Index.htm

wrong , above link takes you to a UK company planning a release of a 1/48 B52 in 2010
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC
I've actually seen one assembled B-36, it was hanging in a kid's room when I was house hunting. Figured Dad had helped get that monster together. Told the wife I'd make an offer if they threw in the model...

OTOH, I did get educated around here that the 1/72 B-36 has a longer wing span than the 1/48 B1 (with the wings swept forward?)
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
I'm still hoping and waiting for a 1/48 Ilyushin Il-28 "Beagle" bomber. Sure, it's big, and that means a big investment for the manufacturer, but it'd still be smaller than a C-47 or some other planes that have been done in that scale.
MikeM670
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 278 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
Now this is a monster radio controlled B52. Checkout this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbITzCI2AU0

Mike
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
I built this kit back in the 1980s when it was first released by Monogram. Back then I wasn't too worried about seams etc and I remember the biggest pain where the walkways on the wings. I ended up using pin-striping tape I got from the local auto-spares place. I also remember I used the small spray cans of paint produced by Humbrol at the time and their # 11 silver produced a nice BMF that didn't come off on my fingers like some do even now. The construction lasted until about the 4th move of house when it got too badly damaged too be repaired. I still can't remember throwing it out and it may be sitting in a box somewhere.. a large box...

I picked up the Revell release about 7 years ago but have not got around to building it as yet. One hint is to not glue the wings on. There is a great big spar that keeps them well alligned without the glue, and you can take them off if you ever have to pack it away.

Maybe we need a group build... lol!
 _GOTOTOP