_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Chinook has landed in CA
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 03:47 AM UTC
Just got the Trumpeter 1/35 Chinook model. It looks really nice. A few guys at FineScale Modeler got it a few days ago and have started posting the corrections and tweaks needed on it. Check FSM Helo Forum for more details.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 10:20 AM UTC
You bird came in did it, thats cool. I can't wait to get my hands on one. So how big is the box, it looks pretty large. When are you going to start digging in. Keep us posted.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi Joe. The box isn't that big, slightly bigger than the Academy UH-60 boxes. I thought it would be huge as well. It is packed tightly though. They packed it really securely too. Individual cardboard boxes and holders inside for different pieces. Came all the way from France through regular mail with no damage at all.
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
I purchased mine Saturday here on the east coast.I am wondering why the fuselage has a front and rear section? Hand fitting the parts together,there will be quite a seam to fill.Not impossible,but the full length fuselage fits in the box,no need for making it 2 units.But it is a fine kit.
(++) (++) (++) (++)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC
The rear fusalage is separate so they can add the D model rear end, which is different. The D model is due out sometime this summer. Doesn't look like it will require much, if any, filler since it is split along a panel line anyways. Looks like a solid, tight joint to me. Good luck.
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 01:57 AM UTC
I'm just glad I unloaded my Vac-form kit when I did. After a few visits to NAS Dallas, which is more of an Army base now, I'm ready to start this thing.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
Squadron has it now listed as "New Arrivals"
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC
Mine just finally arrived today. I have to say that I’m impressed with it’s size, much bigger than I thought. Now if you can excuse me…I have some work to do.
jackhammer81
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Last weekend Mary and I took a trip to Des Moines and lo and behold ther ewas one when we first walked in the door, I asked Greg (the owner) when he got it in and he said he had it for over a week. I still dont know how a little shop had it so fast, but if they sell out give "Great Hobby Adventures" in Des Moines a call. Mention their internet coupon for 10% off and they will mail it out to you. Sheesh I was just realizing the price would be pretty good too I think it would put the price right at 107 bucks. here is a link to their shop
Cheers Kevin
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC
Looks like everyone is jumping on the Chinook band wagon. Good deal. Lets see some great builds now.
blkhwkmech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
Got mine at a LHS over a week ago

along with the new American Lefrance FireTruck

airbornematt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like everyone is jumping on the Chinook band wagon. Good deal. Lets see some great builds now.

I was about to jumponit this weekend, but I promised myself to wait and see if a MH version or atleast a conversion kit comes to fruitation
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was about to jump on it this weekend, but I promised myself to wait and see if a MH version or atleast a conversion kit comes to fruitation

You will have to wait till mid summer or fall most likely. The CH-47D model is supposed to be released in June. Chris from Cobra Company is thinking about the conversion for an MH once he sees that one. The A is quite a bit different from a D, which is what the MH is based on. You could convert it from the D using parts from the Academy MH-60G kit, and as bit of sheet styrene and a lot of elbow grease too. May be my plan, we shall see.
airbornematt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was about to jump on it this weekend, but I promised myself to wait and see if a MH version or atleast a conversion kit comes to fruitation

You will have to wait till mid summer or fall most likely. The CH-47D model is supposed to be released in June. Chris from Cobra Company is thinking about the conversion for an MH once he sees that one. The A is quite a bit different from a D, which is what the MH is based on. You could convert it from the D using parts from the Academy MH-60G kit, and as bit of sheet styrene and a lot of elbow grease too. May be my plan, we shall see.

that's the word I heard as well. I'm chopping at the bit for an MH, idea's of a Operation Anaconda diorama in mind
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
Well Gino it's been 12 days since you got you kit. Where are the pics???
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Sorry man. It is down on the to-do list a little ways. Gotta finish a couple other builds first so I have space on the bench for the monster.
liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 07:20 AM UTC
hi there, there's progress pictures in my album. i'm having second thoughts...if to go for the slingers or agogo gunship. any AM parts for the gunships version? thanks.
armorstuv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC
Got mine on Saturday. what a nice kit should look wonderful when completed.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi there, there's progress pictures in my album. i'm having second thoughts...if to go for the slingers or agogo gunship. any AM parts for the gunships version? thanks.

Yours is looking good. No AM stuff yet. Cobra Company is working on some stuff. Not sure if he will come up with the Guns-A-Go-Go armaments, hope so.
armorstuv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC
Does anybody know what the length of the rotors on the beast is going to be when built fully extended?

I looked on the box and did not see what it would be. A little help would be greatly apprieciated.

Stu
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:19 AM UTC
Stuart the body is like 17 1/2 inch long, each blade is 7 /12 with a total length around 33 inches tip to tip. Yeah this one is BIG!
dukw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:46 PM UTC
Do the walls of the cargo compartment have any details?

Greetings
Harald
armorstuv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the help on the rotors....should be cool when finished

Stu
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do the walls of the cargo compartment have any details?

Greetings
Harald

Yes, the interior walls have the sound proofing molded on them. Kind of clean and neat, but its there. The rear ramp wall area has some stringers molded, but is devoid of all the hydraulic lines, hoses, and piping that is present on the actual helo.

Here are the sprue shots to see the interior walls.

Here is a review of the kit, with pics.
Hollowpoint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
Wow

I never liked riding in these, but this model really sounds like a keeper. Thanks for the link to the review, Gino.

Now, do I get the A or wait for the D? Do a Nam bird or a mid-70s bird in Germany or build one of the S-hooks I rode in Alaska in the 80s ... decisions, decisions ...
 _GOTOTOP