_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
REVIEW
  Messerschmitt Bf 109 A
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Here''s the review I''ve been waiting for! Vance Henize (VANIZE) take an excellent, detailed look at the first of Classic Airframes'' new 1/48 early Bf 109s series.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here''s the review I''ve been waiting for!

Same here!
Another Bf 109 kit to add to the collection! The spare parts are a nice addition. I like Classic Airframes kits and I must say I always enjoyed building them.
Thank you Vance for this great review and congratulation for your first contribution! Thanks also to you Rowan.

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

The shocking thing is that work has prevented me from publishing Vance's review 'till now... my Stash is squealing... I STILL haven't had a chance to buy the kit!

Help - it's not right... there' a gap on the shelves...

Rowan :-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

I just finished two Bf 109 kits ( see here ) so I have two holes in my Messerschmitt "Mauer". Maybe I will buy two of those Classic Airframes kits...

Jean-Luc
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:22 AM UTC
I'll post some updated pictures here in this thread soon. I have run into a couple other minor problems, but nothing major:

Classic airframes got a new set of leading edge slats to me quickly. Since i can't find any early 109 pictures with these flaps extended on the ground, i chose to model them closed. some trimming was required. the right one fit perfectly once shortened slightly, but the left one did not mate with the lower wing very well at all. But at least the top surface mated well and the required filling was on the underside.

the resin wheel well inserts just barely fit into the wing - you have to scrape away a lot of the upper wing interior, and be careful not to sand through the top of the wheel well when working on that part. But the biggest problem here is that the wing rib detail in the right wing resin well is obviously not parallel with the forward direction (and this is not the fault of my installation!). The corresponding detail on the left wing is correct. the inserts also require a fair amount of filler where they mate with the wheel well opening in the wing.

Also, warpage in the wing made it difficult to install the right wing flaps in a satisfactory manner. much bending was had before i was begrudgingly satisfied with the mating if the rear of the main wing and the top of the flap.

also felt the largish scoop on top of the cowl needed some reshaping.

On a positive note - the resin cockpit went together and fitted into the fuselage with no hassles at all, and after a little cleanup, the wings mated well to the fuselage too - no wing root problems.

Despite the problems i have pointed out, I am enjoying the build, as i like using my modeling skills. so far the most challenging (and rewarding!) part has been resculpting the radiator intake. With that done, I am feeling good about the whole project now.
 _GOTOTOP