_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Dora 9 pics
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
The Hasegawa 1/32 D-9, OOB, except for scratched belts and brass tube guns. Tamiya acrylics and matted with Polyscale.

Steve
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
Very nice Dora Crockett!
When someone does a build like this as clean as yours it means there was little to hide or cover up. That's pretty much why my planes tend to have mud, dirt, soot and chipped paint everywhere. I can't imagine right now doing something like your Dora and leaving it as clean as this one. :-)
Nice job on the antenna. So the decals are OOB Hasegawa as well?

Nice! I like it alot
Hermon
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 04:25 AM UTC
Absolutely beautiful build Steve.
How did you do the markings on the spinner, as it looks like a masking nightmare. Even if its a decal it looks like a lot of fun to apply.
I was about to comment on the antenna being slack, then noticed the canopy was open .Not only going senile but need glasses as well :-) .
Thanks for posting the pics.
Andy (++)
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

Hermon: Yes they are OOB, the #10 was snatched from the spares box, it should be yellow, and there should be a "spade" in a diamond below the cockpit, but.......By the way, these decals are ULTRA THIN and barely tolerate micro set. Do not even think about Solvaset here, it is way too aggressive.

Andy: the spinner was brush painted. I drew the pattern with a 5mm pencil on cured future and slowly painted in between the lines with Gunze gloss white thinned with Windex.

Thanks again guys:

Steve
Gloss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Crockett,

A great looking model, crisp and well defined.

Are there any tips you can give on airbrushing the mottled camo scheme if possible please.

Many thanks

Mark
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

Ever since I switched to a double action airbrush (Badger 360), mottling has been a joy and is quite easy. I took some advice from a professional airbrush artist-I leave the regulator at 18 to 20 psi and never touch it! Just load the cup with properly thinned Tamiya acrylic and depress the plunger for full airflow, then pull back just a hair for a little bit of paint. The high pressure atomizes the paint and creates the perfect effect.

Regards,
Steve
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 04:49 AM UTC
18 to 20 lbs. huh?
Everything I've ever read said to back down the pressure to around 5lbs for detail work like this. The high pressure certainly did'nt seem to harm your mottled camo though.
Thats some pretty good advice. I've been looking into stepping up to a double action AB the last few weeks. You guys make it sound like a wise investment. Up till now I've had pretty crappy luck with my single action and Tamiya paints.

Thanks for the advice. I think that was the straw that broke the camels back. Now, how do I explain to my wife that I need to make yet another trip to the LHS and pick up another AB?

Hermon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:51 PM UTC
A loverly Dora I have one of these which I hope to build soon, now sooner rather than later Any tips? Or I guess none are required 'cos it looks pretty straight forward.
Very nicely done camo, it's interesting to hear that you spray acrylics at relatively high pressure through a very small appature. Do you have any problems with the paint drying on the tip? This is why I don't use acrylics. I get similar results using very low pressure (1/2 a bar or less, 7psi down to unreadable on my regulator) with enamels and find this method to be very, very controlable with never a sign of the paint drying on the tip.
What have you used for the antenna wire, looks good?
Mal
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hello Mal,

The secret to acrylics at this pressure is to lube the needle. I use petroleum jelly. The antenna is 2lb fishing wire with clear parts cement globs for tensioners......

Regards,
Steve
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The secret to acrylics at this pressure is to lube the needle. I use petroleum jelly.

I use high pressure and Tamiya ( or increasingly Vallejo) too, mainly because my compressor has no regulator. . Using a DA brush gives me all the control I need ( I paint a lot of German Camo, freehand).
Pleas elaborate on lubrication the needle, I mean do you 'lube' the tip of the needle or do you mean the parts inside?

Good job on the Dora by the way..

Cheers
Henk
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:14 AM UTC
Henk,

Yes I mean the whole needle. It promotes smooth operation (a must when dispensing micro amounts of paint with the double action feature,) plus prevents paint from "sticking" to the tip. Before doing a paint job, I usually pull the needle, lube and re insert. This is a snap with the Badger 360.

Steve
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:19 AM UTC
Thanks Steve, I'll give that a go.

Cheers
Henk
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The secret to acrylics at this pressure is to lube the needle. I use petroleum jelly.

do you know if this will work with enamels? I understand the reason for doing it when using acrylics and I assume that you don't get the petroleum jelly squirting out with the paint. Does the petroleum jelly react differently with enamel paints and/or thinner?
Intrigued
Mal
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
Top quality Dora! Nice and clean build!

Cheers!
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hey Mal,

I use the lubed needle for both, acrylics and enamels. The petroleum Jelly is just a thin film applied along the entire needle. It is resistant to laquer thinner up to a point, but it works well. The method gives extreme control of overspray and enables free hand camo with the double action brush, as well as precise touch ups without masking.

Steve
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC
Cheers Steve, I'll give it a go. I'm quite at ease doing freehand airbrushing, but anything that will make life easier will get my vote
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Great build Steve! and I really enjoyed ready the threads about lubing the needle. Do you know if regular airbrush needle lubing oil would do the same thing?
Leon
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hi Leon,

Yes I'm sure the storebought stuff is great, but, as a low cost alternative, I go with the petroleum jelly. I go to Walgreens or CVS pharmacy and get the generic paetroleum jelly. One tube will lube the brush for a lifetime!

Steve
 _GOTOTOP