_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Smoke/dust
BugNerd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
How would someone make smoke or dust. I saw a pic in the gallery here (can't recall which) but there was a guy smoking and I also saw smoke on a crashed P-47. My friend insists that it was photoshopped, but I told him that I really didn't think modelers would touch up their photos

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
One way i heard of was by blowing cigarette smoke through a straw and then taking a photo of it. As for actually making smoke and dust i have no idea but i would have thought it was extremely hard to make it look realistic.
Andy (++)
redneck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
I believe the best way to add smoke would be to hide a smoke making machine under or in the model and piping the smoke out where you want it.

As for the dust I can’t help you with that one..
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC
I know jackhammer81 had a German smoking a cigarette and he just had a few small pieces of cotton picked from a cotton ball or qtip glued to the tip of the cigarette.

Dust -well in my house just let the model sit on the shelf and it finds all the dust in house :-)

Seriously though, not sure how you would model a plane kicking up dust.....
BugNerd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
My idea was that polyester fiberfill stuff or batting. I think if the fibers were fine enough, it might appear as clouds of dust from an aircraft on takeoff. It could be painted and if you weren't able to see the strings without getting close, it might work.

just my 2 cents without having actually tried it :-)

Someday I'd like have a model train (WWII era) that passes by a dirt airstrip with a JU-87 or something similar taking off. Not sure which train scale would work for 1:72 models though since they don't seem to use the ratios. (HO, N, etc)
 _GOTOTOP