_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Monogram Huey UH-1 1/24th
melon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hello,
I just wanted to ask what anyones opinion of the Monogram UH-1 "Gun Ship" in 1/24th scale. I purchased a couple cheap, I want to get my wifes 13 year old cousin into model building and decided to build it along side with him. It is listed as a Skill Level 2, it has lived up to it so far. We have assembled the interior, paitned it and will finsh the rest next weekend. I usually am a dedicated Modern USMC armor builder, this is my first deviation off of that path.

The kit seems simple, yet it has PLENTY of cool detail. The plastic is soft and some of the assembly's require nothing short of super glue to keep together. On this issue, I question the Skill Level 2 by Monogram.

My real question is this, how accurate is this kit? In terms of model specifics, avionics, shape, ect. I may get another to super detail due to its size and was wondering if any aftermarket products are available. The kits guns and cockpit are simplified, and would be nicely finished with some resin updates. Anyone ever take a crack at this kit?

Thanks in advance
Melon
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:57 AM UTC
It is not too bad. As you said, the details in the cockpit and interior are quite simplified. There should be much more detail, especially in that scale. As a UH-1B, it is not too accurate. It is listed as a B model, but is really a cross between a B and a C, but not correct for either. It is a good kit for a young modeler to start on, a bit big and ambitious, but not too dificult. Good luck with it.

If you want an accurate C model that is well detailed, get one of the 1/35 MRC/Academy kits. They are great kits. You won't believe the diferance.
melon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:04 AM UTC
Its been fun, he has been able to handle it. He has a limited experince, some ship models, the occaisional car. But his eyes lit up when I said I would get it as an early birthday present. Also, he is jazzed about the idea of posting his model online here.

Doing some research, I think I may go for an MRC AH-1W, to keep the USMC side of my brian happy, plus a nice Cobra Kit cockpit update. Don't feel like getting too indepth on a helo, but a nice change of pace before DML gets my money for a new M1A1 AIM.

If this works out, we may have to each build a Cobra next. Followed by a few tanks to get his mind going in the right direction, enough of this aircraft stuff already.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:08 AM UTC
Ah ha!! Another helo convert. For a good Marine helo, try the 1/35 Panda UH-1N with Cobra Company's UH-1N correction/upgrade and UH-1N weapons sets. It can come out looking great.

Gotta have air support for the grunts on the ground.

Keep us posted.
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:46 AM UTC
Gino,
Where can you get the kits you mentioned? I'm looking for a good helo kit since there all over the place where I am currently deployed. Hope to be home in time for the Seattle IPMS show. Have you built the Academy CH-46? Cheers!

Chief
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC
Great Models has the Academy UH-1Cs and Panda UH-1N. Panda also does a D/H model as well.

Here is the link for Cobra Company upgrade sets.

I haven't built the Academy CH-46 yet. I have seen some great examples and hear it goes together well. Looks like a great kit.

Good luck and make it home safe.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 05:49 AM UTC
Ryan,
The 1/24 Huey is a great kit and being in a larger scale, you sure can do some super detailing. I’ve built two which I detailed and scratchbuilt one through out. As for how accurate the fuselage is, it’s pretty darn close. The vertical tail and fin elevators are correct. Here in this pic, it shows a fuel filler. It is not found on the B’ model. You’ll have to fill and sand it out. Though many of the parts are thick and chunky, they are easy enough to scratchbulid.

Unfortunately there are no aftermarket accessories, but with some references and scratchbuilding you can build a great looking Huey. I’m sorry I don’t have the Huey’s to show as they are sitting in the Buffalo Naval Service Men’s Park museum.

Squadron/Signal publications has three Huey books with many walk around photos, and Vietnam Choppers is another source. It has a great cut-away of the B’ model which describes many of the internal parts. In the S/S books you can find some colorful birds, and if you have or know someone with a Laser printer, you can make up some nice nose art.

The MRC AH-1W Cobra is an excellent out of the box kit to build. The Italeri Kit is also the same kit, just different decals. The kit has very little flash and it's only fit problem is around the bottom of where the two fuselage halves join together. With a little patience and putty you’ll have no problem. Other than that it basically builds it’s self. Cobra Company have a nice resin set for the NTS upgrade. Twobobs decals had a set of ‘Whiskey in the Mix’ decals, unfortunately they are out of stock. They do have a new set out now that worth looking at, http://www.twobobs.net/

There are many on-line sites with some of the best resources and walkarounds of the W' Cobra. I'm working on my forth as we speak for the Show Your Teeth campaign.

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
Lauren,
I’ve built three of the Academy’s CH-46’s. I have to say that I really enjoyed them. They go together well and have very little flash. As with most kits it to has some accuracy (minimal) issues. Eduard’s has an exterior/interior photo etch set. I myself only used the exterior PE, I just couldn’t bring myself spending money for an interior set you’ll never see. http://www.eduard.cz/./

Here are two more looks at the 46,

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/756

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/854

Academy also has the CH/HH-46D, pretty much the same kit as the E' but with a few more added parts. I also heard that Academy is releasing a forth 46 in a Vietnam version. I haven't seen any pic's or box art yet, only time will tell.
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:01 AM UTC
Thanks Mother!!! I think I may order both kits! Cheers!

Chief
 _GOTOTOP