_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Cockpit colors
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
After looking at some of the absolutely fabulous builds that have been pictured here, I am particularly impressed with the cockpit detail that many of them show. Really astounding!

My questions is always "I wonder how he knew that that lever knob was red and that one green".

Is there a reference work on cockpits colors?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi Steve.
I agree with you.Some of the cockpit detailing you see on models on this site and others is amazing.Im just getting into aircraft with that amount of detail and I hope I can do it justice.
This is a site with lots of closeups of WW2 aircraft cockpits which should give you some idea of the various colours found in them.
Im sure many other people will have links.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=31
One thing you can try is to Google Image a particular subject you are working on.You usually come up with some interesting ideas.
Hope this helps
Nige
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hi Steve

The internet is a superb source of information, but if you're after printed references there are plenty out there. To list a few:

Squadron's "Walkaround" and "Detail & Scale" series have detailed colour photos of the subjects' interiors.

If you're interested in Luftwaffe cockpits:

German Aircraft Interiors Vol.1 by Kenneth Merrick - Monogram Publications

German Aircraft Cockpits 1911-1970 by Peter Cohauz - Schiffer Books

and for an assortment of WW2 cockpits:

Cockpit by Donald Nijboer - Airlife.

Hope this helps

Rowan
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hello Steve,

It would depend on a particular aircraft. Most common modern aircraft are well documented. Rare and older aircraft would be hard to find the colors. Sometimes b/w pictures alone are difficult to find.. As Nigel has recommended, try doing a search in Google.com. There are many books out there that shows cockpit colors. Beware of restored aircraft. Good luck.

David
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
Nigel, Rowan, David - Thank you. I;m not of the "computer generation" and often forget to Google or Yahoo before I ask a question.

I just ordered "Cockpit" and David, that website you gave was a real find. I happen to have a 1/48 Walrus in my stash and there was a cockpit for it!

What I find amusing is the variation in AC or the same nation. I know, having served in the US Army, that there are standards for paint and colorschemes and, I suppose, everything else, so I know all the USAAC cockpits were to be painted alike. So much for the standards.

Thanks again, guys.
 _GOTOTOP