_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
Fw Ta 183 question
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hi

Quoted Text

A tapered main wing spar constructed of two duraluminum I-beams with steel flanges formed a torque box, with the attachment at the fuselage consisting of a single bolt. The wing structure was completed by adding bonded wooden ribs with a plywood covering

taken from an descriptive extract on www.luft46.com

The fuselage was metal skinned and therefore rivetted but I ask would the plywood skin on the wings be held in place by rivets or screws or bonded with adhesive or a mix of these?

Any suggestions please...

Many thanks
Peter
:-)
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC
In addition...
I supose it may have used a similar method as that used on the He 162 Salamander...

So I'm off finding refs......

Cheers
Peter
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
Peter, are you building one?
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I'm more interested in what colour primer was used on the plywood wings, any ideas?
Mal
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi Mal...
no I'm not building one at the moment.
I'm trying to get the next part Luft 46 colours thing done. And as I'm trying to improve my technique, I'm genning up on little details that might make the profiles better.
There is a fair bit of educated* guessing as its Luft 46 but a little nugget of info on one can make doing another easier....er

I plan to do a bit of "look and see" on the He 162 as this was a wooden wonder so if I come across any primer info you'll be the first to know...

Cheers
Peter
* educated? who me?....no; I didn't have an education...I went to art college
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:37 PM UTC
Nice going Peter. The Mossie is smooth skinned so I guess it was bonded, it would be a fair assumption that the Germans had a similar compound to achieve a similar result. However I do have a niggling thought that I have read somewhere that they had difficulty achieving a workable bond with playwood skinning. That could just be age playing tricks though and still doesn't answer the question.
Is there any chance of doing the profile with a NMF fuselage, with mottled upper fuselage and painted wings and tail, a blue nose and defence bands around the fin? That's how I have dicided to finish mine but I still can't decide on what colours to paint the wings. The reason I'm after the profile colour is to have it show through when I weather the beast
Mal
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi Mal again...

You took the words right out of my mouse.

I was thinking along similar lines re the Mossie.

I was also thinking that maybe as the wings were wood then a trip to the Kriegsmarine might have proved useful in that the primers used for painting wooden boats etc might have proved a possibility....???

You lucky person..... :-) I have a few new Ta 183 profiles on the go, so it won't be a problem to slip a Mal NMF scheme in. I'll let you have the finished profile as soon as I finish it. Oh by the way....NMF?...nightfighter?

I've spent a few hours chasing info for the Salamander but have yet to find any ref for the actual painting methods.

Ah well

Cheers for now
Peter
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC
Its me again Mal...

Defense bands.....
blue and red or yellow and red?

I always get confused with these...

Cheers
Peter
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
Well like I say I'm hankering for a blue nose, i just reckon that will look cool. I was thinking maybe the blue and white check bands, but the yellow and red will add more colour

Primer for boats sounds like a possibility. However I'm sure the Mossie was primed with the normal primer which was (I think) and still is (apparently) a yellowish colour. Not zinc cromate though. I was thinking that the primer used by the Luftwaffe might have been the same, or similar, to that used for armoured vehicles which, from my spying in the target forum, was, I think, a red lead colour. It could equally have been RLM 02.

I haven't mentioned it but when I had the IPMS Armorama branch stand at Milton Kynes the other week end I had you profil book laid out. A punter asked me if it was for sale, I told him yes, for a thousand quid Unfortunately he didn't buy it but he was certainly impressed by it. Of course I told him where he could find more. Not sure if he's a member yet

Mal
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hi Mal...
Got two versions nearly ready with a third also coming along..

Will post in the next few days for critique.

Oh that... the profile book.
Maybe its time to do a second issue...when I get time.
Maybe after the next chapter of Luft 46 colours.

Cheers
Peter
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Nice one Peter, I can't wait.
A question for you, do you know if the Ta 183 would have had coloured bulbs and clear covers or clear bulbs and coloured covers on the nav lights?
Mal
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Good question Mal....
so the hard ones first?
To be honest I've never given it much thought...shame on me....but at 1/72nd its hardly a big issue.

But....I imagine it would follow normal Luftwaffe practices...whatever they were.

But if the Me 262 on http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/me262/me262.htm is anything to go by it would be red or green bulbs under a clear glass cover.

So I've got to make a little ghange to the profiles now...

Anymore where that came from :-)

Cheers
Peter
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
You are probably right but I would go with coloured covers....................................This is mainly because I have cut out the nav light positions on my Ta 183 and I can't find any clear sprue wit a big enough diameter to fill them so I'm gonna (was?) use tooth brush handles

Here's something, not for profiles though, the gun sight in the kit looks, to me, as if it projects onto the windscrean, rather than a sight glass?

Have you come up with a primer coulur yet?

Mal
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Ach so mein Mal...

No I havn't found anything yet on the primer....
My excuse is I've been bashing my little mouse finger to a fraz getting the Ta 183 profiles ready.... :-)

so...what's your excuse :-)

Eh-up!.....I've just remembered....somewhere sit down PJ ...I saw an article on "Primers as canmouflage colours".....I'll set the hounds on it.
So if I'm not back in the next few weeks.....make a dash for it Caruthers....head for the border.

More soon...
Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP