Yokosuka D4Y "Suisei" interior color question
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 05:44 PM UTC
Hi all!

I started my entry for the "Flattop" Campaign: Fine Molds 1/48 Yokosuka D4Y "Suisei" Unfortunately all the instructions are in japanese so I'm not sure about the interior color of the cockpit and the color of the wheel bays. Is IJN Interior Green and Aotake Blue the way to go? Any help would be usefull!

Thanks!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Check out j-aircraft.com. I'm at work, so I haven't had a chance to check, but I bet they have the answer in their research section.

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

I started my entry for the "Flattop" Campaign: Fine Molds 1/48 Yokosuka D4Y "Suisei" Unfortunately all the instructions are in japanese so I'm not sure about the interior color of the cockpit and the color of the wheel bays. Is IJN Interior Green and Aotake Blue the way to go? Any help would be usefull!

Thanks!

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc,
Most Jap aircraft interior colours were green and/or Aotake blue/or green. The Aotake was usually only used in the wheel wells unless it was a late produced aircraft when the cockpit would sometimes have it as well.
Andy (++)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Rowan, Roderick and Andy!

Thanks for your help!
Roderick, That's great! I will scan the instructions so you can translate them. I'll post them here later so everyone can benefit from it!
Just a moment... I'll be back!

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC
I'm Back!

Roderick, since you asked... voilà!

I suppose the numbers in squares are color references but all the rest is Japanese for me! :-) I edited the instructions to keep the minimum. I placed red letters so you can use them for the translation...

Over to you Roderick!

Jean-Luc
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

The excellent book 'Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945' by Robert C. Mikesh states...

"There are few original source examples from which to make accurate color determination. One component from a Judy, a throttle unit, is in the NASM collection. If one were to assume the green on this sub-component was close to the overall interior, this piece was a close visual match to Munsell 7.5GY 3/4 and A/N.32. These are closer to the best Pantone sample which was 5747C, and which is not as yellow as the part examined. "

The book has two photos of the above stated throttle unit.

Frank
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi , me again

I guess it would of been easier to just go the the basement and check my collection. I have two Finemolds Judy's. One of them is strictly in Japanese. The other is in ENGLISH . It states the cockpit interior to be IJN Green (Nakajima) With the padded pilot seat being a dark flat blue. Strangely enough there is no colour reference for the wheel wells.

To add to your dilema, The late war Grace B7A, and the B6N2 (Jill) have differing wheel well colours. The Grace having the interior yellow green and the Jill having the Aotake.

My Edit... I've found the interior wheel well landing strut door colour for the Finemolds Judy, it's stated as IIJA Gray, while the exterior of the door is IJN Gray (Mitsubishi)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Not very useful, but here's a squinting peek into the rear cockpit . But follow the site and some good shots of the wheel wells.

Judy Judy Judy!

Interior views of NASM's Yokusuka P1Y1-S "Francis"
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hi all!

Wow! Thanks for the answers...
I think the "classical" IJN Interior Green + Aotake Blue combo seems to be the best option...
Frank, is there any chance you can scan and send me the English version of the instructions?

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. Sorry this was a bit slow, had to wait for SWMBO to help me out...

Hi Roderick!

Thanks a lot! It was not slow at all... but very fast!

Give your wife a big Kiss from France! :-)8

Jean-Luc

P.S. I will build an 1/48 CR 32 for your Spanish Civil war Group Build. I already checked the Smer kit I have and found out... it will be a lot of work!!! :-)
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

Wow! Thanks for the answers...
I think the "classical" IJN Interior Green + Aotake Blue combo seems to be the best option...
Frank, is there any chance you can scan and send me the English version of the instructions?

Jean-Luc

I do not have a scanner but will take photos of the instructions. Did you want me to post them here, or e-mail them to you? If e-mailed, should I zip-file them or post them individually?

Frank
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Frank!

No problem! I think I can work with what Roderick translated... but thanks for the help!

Jean-Luc
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:01 AM UTC
The photos have been taken, so let me know if you need any of it downloaded.

Frank
 _GOTOTOP